The first yearling sale held in Texas since 2014 was conducted Aug. 29 at Lone Star Park, topped by a colt and a filly by the state’s leading sire Too Much Bling that sold as part of the dispersal of Lane’s End Texas.
Texas-based trainer Danny Pish grabbed the 2,000th victory of his career May 30 when Jerry Durant and Bill Jordan's U S Officer won his debut by three lengths in the second race at Lone Star Park.
After five starts on turf last year, Dennis Foster's Got Shades will move to the main track when he makes his 3-year-old season debut Jan. 18 in the $200,000 Lecomte Stakes (gr. III) at Fair Grounds.
Louisiana stallion Lone Star Special was represented by his first winner when Chickasaw Bayou, posted a victory in her second start on Aug. 18 in the second race at Louisiana Downs.
Joyful Victory, winner of the richest Thoroughbred stakes in Texas, was named the 2013 horse of the meet at Sam Houston Race Park.
Lone Star Park at Grand Prairie concluded its 2012 Thoroughbred meet July 8 with a 7.6% decline in average daily all-sources wagering, a 4% drop in average daily attendance.
Texas-based trainer Danny Pish, the leading conditioner at Retama Park in San Antonio, earned the 1,000th win of his career when he saddled Bye Bye Trey for victory in the eighth race Oct. 5.
Eighty-two Texas-breds were entered for Saturday's fifth annual Stars of Texas card at Lone Star Park. Dual stakes winner Goosey Moose was made the mild 3-1 morning line favorite for the $125,000 Assault Stakes, the centerpiece of six stakes events on the 10-race program.
The Louisiana Downs barn area has offically opened and is expected to be full when the 29th meeting begins Friday, June 28. The 80-day season is scheduled to offer average daily purses of $200,000, a 56% increase over last year's meet.
Most Popular Stories
- A Look Back at Gallant Fox's Arlington Classic
- Lady Eli Brings Her Class to Gamely
- Midnight Storm Seeks Grade 1 Dirt Win in Gold Cup
- Leslie's Lady in Foal to American Pharoah
- CHRB Discusses Creating Single California Circuit
- Classic Empire to Coolmore on Retirement
- Asmussen Earns $50,000 Preakness Weekend Bonus
- The Greatest Performance No One Has Seen
- Enola Gray, Illuminant Look Strong in Monrovia Field
- Curlin Colt Sets Midlantic Record at $1.5 Million