Shadwell Stables' Najjaar returned to Polytrack for the first time since his 2-year-old season and handled the switch with success Oct. 17, taking an off-the-turf edition of the $100,000 Sycamore Stakes.
Shadwell Farm's 4-year-old homebred filly Ausus snapped a four-race losing streak and earned her first black-type victory when she charged to the front in the stretch and pulled away to a 2 1/4-length advantage.
James Miller's Daisy Devine will make her 2013 debut in the $75,000 Marie G. Krantz Memorial Handicap at Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots Jan. 26, and she's ready to roll despite a one-week postponement of the race.
Arienza, a 3-year-old filly out of 2002 Horse of the Year Azeri, scored an impressive first win in her debut March 6 at Oaklawn Park.
A filly by Giant's Causeway produced from Horse of the Year Azeri brought a top price of $800,000 from Robert and Lawana Low during the first session of the Keeneland September yearling sale.
Trainer Danny Peitz kept a close eye on Robert and Lawana Low's Steppenwolfer as the colt cooled out from a sparkling six-furlong work of 1:10 1/5 on the training track Friday. Saturday morning Peitz reported nothing out of the ordinary with the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) contender.
Biloxi Palace, a two-time winner at Fair Grounds, is looking to make a name for himself along the VISA Triple Crown trail with a solid performance in Saturday's $100,000 Lecomte Stakes (gr. III) at Fair Grounds. The LeComte is the first in a three-race series leading up to the March 12 Louisiana Derby (gr. II).
Shadwell Stable's Almuhathir, who missed time over the summer because of nagging foot problems, figures to be a fair price Tuesday on Aqueduct's special Veterans' Day card when he starts in the $100,000 Stuyvesant (gr. III) at 1 1/8 mile.
Most Popular Stories
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby
- California Sire Benchmark Dead at 26
- 'Hermaphrodite' Reported Before Race at Santa Anita
- Collected Dominant Again in Precisionist Stakes
- Battle of Midway Cruises to Affirmed Victory
- Satono Crown Surges to Victory in Takarazuka Kinen
- Brothers in Arms: Idaho Takes Hardwicke Stakes
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Mind Your Biscuits Emerges Well From Bullet Work
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup