Romacaca was back in familiar surroundings after capturing the $100,000 South Beach Stakes, but she wouldn't have been in the Gulfstream Park winner's circle had owner Frank Calabrese received his price at auction.
Frank Calabrese's Romacaca gamely held off Snow Top Mountain by a neck in the Modesty Handicap (gr. IIIT)at Arlington Park. The 6-year-old Running Stag mare covered the 1 3/16 miles in 1:56.67.
Prominent owner Frank Calabrese has parted ways with his primary trainer, Nick Canani, according to a newspaper report.
In her stakes debut, Dade Babe sped away from her rivals on the first turn and was never caught, winning the $100,000 Pucker Up Stakes (gr. IIIT) on the Arlington Park turf by 3 3/4 lengths Sept. 6.
Victorious in her past five races, Romacaca makes her graded stakes debut when she heads a full field of a dozen 3-year-old fillies entered for the $200,000 Pucker Up Stakes (gr. IIIT) on the Arlington Park turf Sept. 7.
Most Popular Stories
- Maryland Horse of the Year Ben's Cat Dies
- Abel Tasman Brings Form to Coaching Club American Oaks
- Del Mar Addressing Safety, Field Size Concerns
- Solis to Evaluate Future Following Surgery
- Trainer Van Winkle Earns 1,000th Career Win
- Arrogate Begins Del Mar Journey in San Diego Handicap
- Daddy's More Than Home
- Remembering Ben's Cat
- Richard's Kid Gets First Winner at Del Mar
- Secretariat Photo Album