Legendary Hall of Fame trainer, Ron McAnally, who turns 84 next July 11, has been at almost every Santa Anita Park meet since 1948.
Chilean-bred Quick Casablanca landed his first North American win when he overcame a slow start to nip Fire With Fire and favored Rookie Sensation in the $100,000 Last Tycoon Stakes (gr. IIIT) on the Santa Anita Park turf.
A victory by Charm the Maker in the Paseana Handicap Jan. 13 would be beneficial on several fronts for trainer Ron McAnally, in addition to providing a good story line.
Sid and Jenny Craig's Candy Ride, taking his first steps on the comeback trail Saturday, was tack-walked for about 25 minutes at trainer Ron McAnally's Santa Anita barn. The 4-year-old Argentine-bred son of Ride the Rails hasn't raced since winning the Pacific Classic (gr. I) at Del Mar on Aug. 24 and had been on vacation since mid-September.
The highly acclaimed Candy Ride, winner of the American Handicap (gr. IIT) at Hollywood Park July 4, took another step along the road to the $1 million Pacific Classic (gr. I) with a sizzling seven-furlong workout Friday morning.
Janis R. Whitham's grade I winner Affluent has been withdrawn from Sunday's $300,000 Santa Margarita Invitational Handicap (gr. I) at Santa Anita after developing a "slight temperature," trainer Ron McAnally's assistant, Dan Landers, said late Saturday afternoon.
Jimmy Z snapped a 16-race losing streak in grand style Friday at Golden Gate Fields when he got up in the final jump to win the $100,000 Forty-Niner Handicap by a head.
Most Popular Stories
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Thunder Snow Confirmed for Kentucky Derby
- Fast Work Provides Relief for Girvin's Connections
- Trust in Tammy: Fox Taught J Boys Echo His Lessons Well
- Gormley Puts in Unconventional Final Derby Work
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls
- McErin, Five Fillies Take on Kentucky Juvenile Stakes
- War Correspondent Responds in Miami Mile
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out