Frank Calabrese's Where's Sterling wore down Southern Ridge in mid-stretch and went on to record his first stakes win Aug. 20 in the $252,500 Philip H. Iselin (gr. III) at Monmouth Park.
Cynthia Knight's Dat You Miz Blue, who beat champion Xtra Heat in the Dec. 14 Garland of Roses Handicap at Aqueduct, has been retired from racing
Xtra Heat, last year's 3-year-old filly champion, was expected to crush her foes in Saturday's six-furlong, $81,650 Garland of Roses Handicap for fillies and mares. But Dat You Miz Blue had other plans.
Sunday's four-race New York Stallion Series will showcase some of the state-bred program's top 2-year-olds and turf horses.
Jose Santos made the first part of New York Showcase Day his personal showcase, winning his third straight stakes race Saturday afternoon at Belmont Park with Cynthia Knight's Dat You Miz Blue.
Madcapt Stable's Maddie May, the defending Iroquois champion, is the horse to beat in Saturday's renewal of the seven-furlong New York-bred stakes race for fillies and mares.
Twelve horses have been entered for Saturday's $100,000
Noble Damsel (gr. III) for fillies and mares at one mile on the turf at Belmont Park, but that many are not likely to run.
Xtra Heat will no doubt bring the heat to Belmont Park by way of sizzling fractions in the Genuine Risk Handicap (gr. II) at six furlongs on Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Brings Baffert Back to World Cup
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Dubai World Cup Night
- Owner-Breeder Bertram Klein Dies
- Litfin at Large: Getting Handle on Dubai World Cup Card
- Zulu Seeks Skip Away Rebound
- Different Paths, Futures for Two Spiral Contenders
- Arnold Believes Spiral is Good Spot for Convict Pike
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- Mind Your Biscuits Could Give Summers First Win
- El Areeb Works at Laurel Toward Wood Memorial