Multiple graded stakes winner Crown of Thorns had the first mares checked in foal from his introductory book at stud.
Spendthrift Farm's multiple grade II winner Crown of Thorns has been retired from racing. Breeding plans are undecided.
Crown of Thorns returned to the winner's circle for the first time since February 2008 when he outlasted prohibitive favorite Sidney's Candy by 1 1/4 lengths in the $147,000 Mervyn LeRoy Handicap (gr. II) at Hollywood Park.
Triple Crown hopeful Crown of Thorns, winner of the Feb. 2 Robert B. Lewis Stakes (gr. II) at Santa Anita, is off the Derby trail after suffering a shin injury on his left front leg, trainer Dick Mandella said Tuesday.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Improving; Exaggerator Jogs Two Miles
- Centeno Recovering in Florida After Spill
- NY Regulators Tighten Underage Gambling Rules
- Making the Grade: Exaggerator's Belmont Shot
- Woodward, Hancock to Racing Hall of Fame
- Colt is First Winner for Maclean's Music