In her first try at two turns, Vexed delivered a hard-fought victory over nine other juvenile fillies in the $169,050 Golden Rod Stakes (gr. II) Nov. 30 at Churchill Downs.
Claiborne Farm and Adele B. Dilschneider's homebred Sign overcame a sluggish start and powered home to win the $168,150 Pocahontas (gr. II) by four lengths on opening day of Churchill Downs' fall meet Oct. 28.
All eyes were on trainer Bobby Frankel's British import Cantabria in the $150,000 El Encino (gr. II), but it was the Hall of Fame conditioner's other entrant - the Frank Stronach-owned filly Sugar Shake - that got the job done at Santa Anita Park Sunday.
Bobby Frankel, closing in on Charlie Whittingham's career record for victories at Santa Anita, has two horses entered in the $150,000 El Encino (gr. II) for fillies and mares at 1 1/16 miles on the main track, Juddmonte Farms' Cantabria and Sugar Shake, owned and bred by Frank Stronach.
Mr. Trieste won his eighth straight race when he pulled away from four rivals to post a four-length win in the $106,000 Zia Park Distance Championship to highlight closing day of the inaugural season Sunday at the Hobbs, N.M. track.
Frank Stronach, one of North America's most influential people in the Thoroughbred racing industry, and Sam-Son Farm's Chief Bearhart, winner of the $2 million Breeders' Cup Turf in 1997, head a list of six candidates for nomination into Canada's Horse Racing Hall of Fame.
Following a recent meeting of researchers and veterinarians, there was a new optimism that Mare Reproductive Loss Syndorme and other syndromes could be solved with the clues that have been, and will be, put together by these researchers and through the input of clinicians.
Most Popular Stories
- Easter Filly for Horse of the Year Zenyatta
- Four-Day OBS Spring Sale Kicks Off April 21
- Untapable Breezes at Churchill Downs
- Dude! Imperative Shocks Charles Town Classic
- Cairo Prince Injured, Out of Kentucky Derby
- Dynamic Impact Nabs 'Hawk in Illinois Derby
- Featured Horse Profile: Frac Daddy
- Kentucky Derby Stars Come Out at Keeneland
- Reddam's Bond Holder Succumbs to Laminitis
- Kid Cruz Wins Tesio, Enters Preakness Picture