A judge in a state circuit court in Miami on Aug. 8 dismissed Internet entrepreneur Halsey Minor's civil suit that requested a transfer in control of Hialeah Park from its chairman and principal owner John Brunetti to the city of Hialeah, Fla.
Florida Gov. Charlie Crist signed a gaming bill June 15 that contains several changes sought by the state's Thoroughbred industry and some changes in the operations of the Seminole Tribe of Florida's casinos.
The number 35 was on almost everyone's lips on June 3 when Calder Race Course broke ground for a casino it plans to open next January on its property in Miami Gardens, Fla.
The Florida Legislature passed a gaming bill May 8 that includes several changes sought by the state's Thoroughbred industry, and a compromise on the contentious issue of table games at the Seminole Tribe of Florida's casinos.
Joe Hirsch, the dean of American turf writers, died early Jan. 9 at St. Luke's Hospital in New York City, according to the Daily Racing Form, where he was a long-time columnist. Hirsch was 80.
Florida Gov. Charlie Crist and the Seminole Tribe of Florida July 17 asked the Supreme Court of Florida for a re-hearing on its July 3 ruling that declared blackjack and baccarat illegal at the tribe's casinos in the state.
Alpine Capital Bank, which purchased Daily Racing Form for $40 million in 1999, may be close to selling the 110-year-old daily to The Wicks Group for a reported $60 million.
A purse of $100,000 and 'Handicapper of the Year' bragging rights are at stake when 204 horseplayers gather for the $212,000 "Daily Racing Form/National Thoroughbred Association Handicapping Championship" on Jan. 12-13 at the MGM GRand in Las Vegas.
Most Popular Stories
- Carpe Diem Back at Keeneland for Blue Grass
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for March 31, 2015
- Fracture Knocks Far From Over Off Derby Trail
- Suffolk Expected to Apply for 2015 Live Dates
- Stallion Sharp Humor Dies in South Korea
- Undrafted Opens Season in Shakertown
- Kobe's Back Returns East for Commonwealth
- Judy the Beauty Heads Busy Work Tab for Ward
- Peace and War Returns for Ashland
- Officials: Penalty System Key Part of Program