Midnight Lute, a recent arrival from California trained by Bob Baffert, drew off by 4 3/4 lengths in winning the $200,000 Perryville Stakes (presented by Budweiser Select) (gr. III) for 3-year-olds at Keeneland Friday.
Prohibitive favorite Henny Hughes took command of Saturday's King Bishop (gr. I) on the bend and turned the seven-furlong test for 3-year-olds into a romp on an overcast day at Saratoga Race Course.
Henny Hughes returns to Saratoga Saturday as the horse to beat among the 11 entered in the seven-furlong King's Bishop (gr. I) for 3-year-olds.
This season, the sobriquet "Graveyard of Favorites" is appropriate for Saratoga in more ways than one. Monday brought the fifth day of daily on-track attendance decline and featured an upset of enormous proportions in the Amsterdam (gr. II).
Jockey Calvin Borel, who pulled a major upset in a stakes earlier in the summer at Churchill Downs, pulled another one today -- this time at Saratoga.
Upon further reflection, trainer Tom Albertrani decided to give his standout 3-year-old sprinter Songster a start in Monday's $150,000 Amsterdam (gr. II) at Saratoga Race Course.
Changing Weather, with Robby Albarado aboard, rallied from sixth and held off Court Folly in a duel of stretch runners to score a head victory in Saturday's $109,800 Matt Winn for 3-year-olds at Churchill Downs.
First Samurai was installed as the 8-5 favorite when he drew post position five in the nine-horse field entered for Saturday's 82nd running of the $750,000 Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I) at Keeneland Racecourse in Lexington, Ky.
The gritty 13-1 outsider Sharp Humor battled back along the rail to defeat the heavy choice Noonmark in the $150,000 Swale (gr. II) for 3-year-olds at Gulfstream Park Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- One More Time: California Chrome Sizzles in Final Work
- Arrogate Logs Final Pegasus Work
- Big-Race Drefong Named Champion Male Sprinter
- Finest City Dazzles in Santa Monica
- Versatile Finest City Named Champion Female Sprinter
- WinStar Farm Earns First Outstanding Breeder Eclipse
- Page McKenney Does it Again at Laurel Park
- Second Straight Turf Female Championship for Tepin
- First Foal Arrives for Gainesway's Karakontie
- Lord Nelson Fighting Laminitis, to Miss Breeding Season