Midnight Lute, a recent arrival from California trained by Bob Baffert, drew off by 4 3/4 lengths in winning the $200,000 Perryville Stakes (presented by Budweiser Select) (gr. III) for 3-year-olds at Keeneland Friday.
Prohibitive favorite Henny Hughes took command of Saturday's King Bishop (gr. I) on the bend and turned the seven-furlong test for 3-year-olds into a romp on an overcast day at Saratoga Race Course.
Henny Hughes returns to Saratoga Saturday as the horse to beat among the 11 entered in the seven-furlong King's Bishop (gr. I) for 3-year-olds.
This season, the sobriquet "Graveyard of Favorites" is appropriate for Saratoga in more ways than one. Monday brought the fifth day of daily on-track attendance decline and featured an upset of enormous proportions in the Amsterdam (gr. II).
Jockey Calvin Borel, who pulled a major upset in a stakes earlier in the summer at Churchill Downs, pulled another one today -- this time at Saratoga.
Upon further reflection, trainer Tom Albertrani decided to give his standout 3-year-old sprinter Songster a start in Monday's $150,000 Amsterdam (gr. II) at Saratoga Race Course.
Changing Weather, with Robby Albarado aboard, rallied from sixth and held off Court Folly in a duel of stretch runners to score a head victory in Saturday's $109,800 Matt Winn for 3-year-olds at Churchill Downs.
First Samurai was installed as the 8-5 favorite when he drew post position five in the nine-horse field entered for Saturday's 82nd running of the $750,000 Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I) at Keeneland Racecourse in Lexington, Ky.
The gritty 13-1 outsider Sharp Humor battled back along the rail to defeat the heavy choice Noonmark in the $150,000 Swale (gr. II) for 3-year-olds at Gulfstream Park Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Agent Ryan Not Surprised by Cloud Computing's Win
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Hips to Watch: Day 1 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Soul Stirring Frankel's First Classic Winner
- Preakness Wrapup: Clouds Got in the Way
- La Coronel Prepares for Royal Ascot Run
- Actress Announces Presence in Black-Eyed Susan
- Grizzel Edges Enstone in Selene Stakes