Scott Edward Ricker of Sunny Oaks Farm near Paris, Ky., died of cancer at the age of 59. Among the many Thoroughbreds foaled and raised at Sunny Oak was 1997 champion 2-year-old filly Countess Diana.
A Sept. 25 fire at Velocity Farms near Benton, La., killed 12 horses, including Deerhound, sire of champion Countess Diana. The cause of the fire is being investigated.
Gains were posted across the board during the second-to-last day of the Keeneland November mixed sale Nov. 18.
Eclipse Award winner Countess Diana, whose Breeders' Cup win remains the third-largest margin of all time, was euthanized over the Memorial Day weekend at Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital near Lexington.
Jill Byrne, who has previously worked in studio and as an analyst and reporter on such TVG programming as "The Works" and "Trackside Live," will join the network as a full-time analyst beginning with TVG coverage of the Keeneland spring meet on April 2.
Eclipse Award winner Action This Day, Cuvee, and Ruler's Court accomplished enough as 2-year-olds last year to share top billing under the standard top weight of 126 pounds on the Experimental Free Handicap that was released Tuesday.
Champion Countess Diana produced her second foal, an A.P. Indy colt March 26 for Kenny Troutt and Bill Casner's WinStar Farm.
Most Popular Stories
- Constitution to Make Stakes Debut in FL Derby
- Jockey Club 2014 Fact Book Posted Online
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- That Handicapping Show: Rebel Stakes
- ThistleDown Racino Meet to Begin April 19
- LTBA Announces 2013 Champions
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes
- Social Inclusion Spoils Honor Code's Return
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- Downey Profile: Improvement Mandated in Rebel