Joint Effort, ridden by Rene Douglas, opened a clear lead in the stretch and held off a late surge from Ready to Please and Victorina to score a one-length victory in Saturday's $167,850 Dogwood Breeders' Cup (gr. III) for 3-year-old fillies at Churchill Downs.
Joint Effort, an impressive winner of the $100,000-added La Troienne (gr. III) on Kentucky Derby Day, and Ready to Please, who won the Fantasy (gr. II) at Oaklawn Park in her stakes debut, head the field in the $150,000-added Dogwood Breeders' Cup (gr. III) at Churchill Downs.
Canadian invader Top Notch Lady brought the snow with her Saturday at Turfway Park and came away with an upset victory in the $150,000 Bourbonette Breeders' Cup (gr. III) for 3-year-old fillies.
Saturday's $150,000 Bourbonette Breeders' Cup on the Lane's End undercard at Turfway Park, run this year for the first time as a grade III race, has attracted 10 sophomore fillies, including four who have already won a stakes race and two others who are stakes placed.
Most Popular Stories
- Pinhooking Rookie Scores Big at Keeneland
- NBC Will Air Pegasus World Cup
- California Chrome Arrives at Santa Anita
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- The RNA Conundrum at Public Auctions
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby
- BH 100: Shooting Star
- Tampa Bay Announces Richest Stakes Schedule
- Texas Bling Retired to Stud
- Have Horseplayers Lost Touch With the Horse?