Nine of the swiftest sprinters in Southern California vie for honors Sunday in Del Mar's $300,000 Bing Crosby Handicap (gr. I) at six furlongs on the seaside track's new Polytrack surface.
Sailors Sunset set a track record on the Hollywood Park Cushion Track in December and trainer Marcelo Polanco likes the way his 4-year-old gelding is coming up to the $100,000-added Los Angeles Handicap (gr. III) at six furlongs on Saturday.
Irish-bred Stratham rallied along the inside under jockey David Cohen to win Sunday's $100,000 Will Rogers (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds on the Hollywood Park turf by three-quarters of a length over New Joysey Jeff, registering his third win in four North American starts.
Veteran trainer Ron Sticka seeks his first stakes victory when he sends out Niagara Causeway in the $100,000 Will Rogers Stakes (gr. IIIT) for 3-year-olds at one mile on turf at Hollywood Park Sunday.
When trainer Mike Mitchell sends out Remembering Star in the $150,000 Lazaro Barrera Memorial Stakes (gr. II) at Hollywood Park on Saturday, fond memories of both the horse after which the colt is named and the trainer after which the race is named will be rekindled.
In Summation, Calder Race Course's 2005 juvenile champion, and a couple of California breds with considerable promise, Da Stoops and Plagiarist, head a field of eight in the $250,000 Sunshine Millions Dash at Santa Anita Saturday.
Bob and Beverly Lewis' What a Song is unbeaten in three starts after an effortless 2 3/4-length victory over Bashert in Sunday's $150,000 Best Pal (gr. II) for 2-year-olds at Del Mar.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Blazes to Travers Record
- Strike Charmer Bests Lady Eli in Ballston Spa
- Drefong Gallops Home to King's Bishop Score
- Calvin Borel Returns to Riding at Ellis Park
- Nyquist Begins Work for Pennsylvania Derby
- Love the Chase to Sell at F-T November
- Flintshire Dominant Again in Sword Dancer
- A.P. Indian Gets Second Grade I in Forego
- Cavorting on Top in Personal Ensign
- Haveyougoneaway Surges to Ballerina Win