First-time starter Blazing Charcoal was all out in the stretch for a head victory as the even-money favorite in the first race at Belterra Park Oct. 12 to become the first winner for Ohio-based freshman sire Mr. Silver.
Patricia Generazio's Tune Me In silenced his doubters Sept. 1 at Monmouth Park when he shook free to win the $99,000 Cliff Hanger Stakes (gr. IIIT), his second straight graded stakes score in less than three months.
Tune Me In was sent off as the longest price in the $152,500 Oceanport (gr. IIIT) at Monmouth Park, but that didn't stop the 25-1 shot from springing an upset over six other turf contenders July 29.
As bigger names garnered the publicity, Musical Romance completed her rags-to-riches story when she was named champion female sprinter for 2011.
Pinnacle Racing Stable and trainer Bill Kaplan's longshot Musical Romance (by Concorde's Tune) pulled away on the inside in the stretch to take the $1 million Sentient Jet Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Sprint (gr. I).
A 2-year-old colt by City Zip consigned by agent Woodside Ranch zipped a quarter in :21 flat to post the fastest work at the distance at the second session of the under tack show for the Ocala Breeders' Sales Company's "2008 June Sale of Two-Year-Olds in Training and Horses of Racing Age."
Razor, ridden by Mike Smith, seized the lead soon after the start and was never seriously threatened en route to a four-length win over Crimson Stag in the $109,700 Matt Winn Stakes for 3-year-olds Saturday at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Runhappy Gets Back to Work at Keeneland
- A Travers Day Christmas Present
- Full Travers Field Awaits Exaggerator
- Veitch's Suspension Sent Back to KHRC
- Flintshire Looking Strong for Sword Dancer
- OBS Numbers Plummet During Open Session
- American Dirt Records a Thing of the Past
- Mohaymen Cuts Back to Sprint in King's Bishop
- California Chrome Superior in Pacific Classic
- Ballerina Stakes Has Stage Full of Talent