Attendance was up 60% to 63,566 from the corresponding day last year, and handle increased 12.5% to HK$825 million on opening day of the Hong Kong racing season at Sha Tin racecourse.
Horseplayers in the United States will be able to wager directly into Hong Kong Jockey Club pools under a plan approved by the Nevada Gaming Commission.
Officials representing virtually every major racing country around the world with pari-mutuel betting have taken the first step toward creating huge pools through international commingling that could revolutionize the sport.
Since common pool pari-mutuel wagering with Canada was introduced in the United States earlier this year, racetracks involved have seen significant gains in handle from Canada, according to Sean Pinsonneault, vice president of wagering operations for Woodbine Entertainment Group in Canada.
Most Popular Stories
- Cairo Prince Injured, Out of Kentucky Derby
- Kentucky Derby Stars Come Out at Keeneland
- Rosalind Works Toward Kentucky Oaks
- Vicar's in Trouble Turns in Derby Work
- My Miss Sophia, Got Lucky Breeze at Churchill
- Mine That Bird Still Flies in Kentucky
- Sisterly Love Scores Doubledogdare Upset
- TimeformUS Saturday Stakes Plays
- Speightstown Colt Works Quick Quarter at OBS
- Samraat, Uncle Sigh Work at Belmont