Estimate led in the final furlong of the Gold Cup (Eng-I) June 20 at Royal Ascot and gamely turned back a strong challenge to narrowly prevail in the 2 1/2-mile marathon for owner Queen Elizabeth II.
The Gold Cup (Eng-I) is Ascot's oldest surviving race and attracted 18 entrants for this year's renewal June 20 at the Royal meeting, including previous winners Colour Vision and Rite of Passage.
Ceremony participants and an invited audience of 300 celebrated the racing career of Frankel, who joins Ouija Board (2004 and 2006) as the only two-time Cartier Horse of the Year winner.
Excelebration, the world's second-best miler behind Frankel, tops a field of eight set for the QIPCO Queen Elizabeth II Stakes (Eng-I) on Oct. 20 at Ascot.
Molly Malone, always in striking position for jockey Umberto Rispoli, closed with a rush to win the marathon Qatar Prix du Cadran (Fr-I) to conclude the Qatar Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe program at Longchamp Oct. 7.
View the races of Royal Ascot. view slideshow
Comments from Frankie Dettori after winning the Ascot Gold Cup aboard Colour Vision. watch video
Colour Vision rallied under a strong drive from jockey Frankie Dettori and was able to hold off stablemate Opinion Poll to win the $542,500 Ascot Gold Cup (Eng-I) by a half-length at Royal Ascot June 21.
Fame And Glory will attempt to emulate his former Ballydoyle stablemate Yeats when he bids for a repeat victory in the $542,500 Ascot Gold Cup (Eng-I) at Royal Ascot June 21.
Most Popular Stories
- Breeders' Cup Pre-Entries Total 185
- Charismatic Moving to Old Friends
- Breeders' Cup Race Order, Wagering Options
- Beholder, 'Lord' Likely to Retire After BC
- Drosselmeyer to Remain in Brazil
- Noble Bird Heads Field of Eight in Fayette
- Forever Unbridled, Tom's Ready Work for BC
- Arrogate Smooth in Six Furlong Work
- Despite Challenges, Gulfstream West Steady
- Nine Supplemented to Fasig-Tipton November