All that is left for the son of Lucky Pulpit is another gallop May 16 and perhaps a light jog the morning before he runs in the second jewel of the Triple Crown.
Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course has cancelled live racing for Jan. 16, as forecasts call for bitter cold temperatures accompanied by sub-zero wind chill.
Researchers at Oklahoma State University recently completed a study on airway cooling and mucosal injury during cold weather exercise. Using the Thoroughbred racehorse as a model, scientists found that even cantering in subfreezing temperatures can induce airway obstruction.
Thoroughbred racing at Sportsman's Park was cancelled again Tuesday because of weather-related track conditions.
A horse with a long, thick coat of winter hair can walk around outdoors in total comfort even in sub-zero weather, if he has been properly fed.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Fast and Accurate Scores Spiral Upset
- Fear the Cowboy Takes Skip Away in Late Drive
- Juvenile Sales Scene Moves West to Barretts
- Thunder Snow Gets Up in UAE Derby
- Mind Your Biscuits Rises to Occasion in Golden Shaheen
- Fields Set for Louisiana Derby, Fair Grounds Oaks
- I Thought I had Seen it All
- Second Summer Catches Sharp Azteca in Godolphin Mile
- Irish War Cry Works With Wood Memorial Bid Likely