All that is left for the son of Lucky Pulpit is another gallop May 16 and perhaps a light jog the morning before he runs in the second jewel of the Triple Crown.
Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course has cancelled live racing for Jan. 16, as forecasts call for bitter cold temperatures accompanied by sub-zero wind chill.
Researchers at Oklahoma State University recently completed a study on airway cooling and mucosal injury during cold weather exercise. Using the Thoroughbred racehorse as a model, scientists found that even cantering in subfreezing temperatures can induce airway obstruction.
Thoroughbred racing at Sportsman's Park was cancelled again Tuesday because of weather-related track conditions.
A horse with a long, thick coat of winter hair can walk around outdoors in total comfort even in sub-zero weather, if he has been properly fed.
Most Popular Stories
- Classic Empire a Pro in Four-Furlong Move
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Churchill Considers Historic Gaming Machines
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Strong Gains at OBS Session Led by Record Tiznow Colt
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill