All that is left for the son of Lucky Pulpit is another gallop May 16 and perhaps a light jog the morning before he runs in the second jewel of the Triple Crown.
Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course has cancelled live racing for Jan. 16, as forecasts call for bitter cold temperatures accompanied by sub-zero wind chill.
Researchers at Oklahoma State University recently completed a study on airway cooling and mucosal injury during cold weather exercise. Using the Thoroughbred racehorse as a model, scientists found that even cantering in subfreezing temperatures can induce airway obstruction.
Thoroughbred racing at Sportsman's Park was cancelled again Tuesday because of weather-related track conditions.
A horse with a long, thick coat of winter hair can walk around outdoors in total comfort even in sub-zero weather, if he has been properly fed.
Most Popular Stories
- Minding Overcomes Trouble for Nassau Win
- Seeking the Gold Dies at 31
- Flintshire Scores in Eventful Bowling Green
- BH 100: Summer Saturdays
- China Group to Build Caribbean Resort, Track
- Little Mike Retired to Old Friends
- Ruling Favors Historical Racing Graphics
- American Cleopatra Entered at Del Mar
- Borell Arraignment Set for Aug. 1
- Full Field Possible for West Virginia Derby