Heading into the Xpressbet.com Preakness Stakes (gr. I) this weekend, trainer Simon Callaghan said there are several factors that could enable his charge Firing Line to pull off a victory over American Pharoah.
Lord Nelson spoiled the 3-year-old coming-out party for Texas Red in the $200,000 San Vicente Stakes (gr. II) at Santa Anita Park Feb. 1, edging the Sentient Jet Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) winner in a terrific finish.
A son of leading sire Tapit and a half brother to Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) winner New Year's Day sold for $2.2 million deep in the final session of Book 1 at the Keeneland September yearling sale Sept. 11.
Gainesway stallion Tapit continued to dominate the Sept. 11 session of the Keeneland September yearling sale when one of his sons was purchased by Shadwell for $1.1 million.
New Year's Day, who upset favored Havana in the $2 million Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I), has been retired after sustaining an injury and will enter stud at Hill 'n' Dale Farms in Lexington.
After being purchased privately for a lofty but undisclosed sum, Sky Girl provided new owner John Clay's Alpha Delta Stables with a quick return on investment in the $110,000 Dogwood Stakes Sept. 21 at Churchill Downs.
An A.P. Indy filly became the first seven-figure purchase at the March 25 Fasig-Tipton Florida sale of selected 2-year-olds in training when she was acquired by Green Hills Farm for $1.1 million.
Grade I winner Line of David sired his first reported foals when a colt and filly were born recently in Central Kentucky.
Most Popular Stories
- Keen Ice Springs Travers Upset on 'Pharoah'
- Runhappy Romps to Record King's Bishop Score
- Loss Can't Derail Pharoah Phenomenon
- Island Town Crushes Smarty Jones Field
- Private Zone Speeds to Forego Victory
- Australian Trainer Bart Cummings Dies at 87
- Sheer Drama Plays Spoiler in Personal Ensign
- Flintshire Flies Away From Sword Dancer Foes
- Unbridled Forever Rolls to First Grade I Win
- Chilean Invader Dacita Takes Ballston Spa