If you saw Desert Code's dramatic come-from-behind win in the Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint last fall, this victory was nothing like that one. Instead, Desert Code took the lead shortly after the start of the $100,000 Daytona Handicap (gr. IIIT) Feb. 15 on the same hillside turf course at Santa Anita and was never threatened.
It took hillside course specialist Desert Code, the longest shot on the board at odds of 36-1, to crack the inaugural $1-million Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint at Santa Anita Oct. 25.
A late surge by Astronomer Royal topped an Irish sweep of Sunday's Poule d'Essai des Poulins (French Two Thousand Guineas) (Fr-I) at Longchamp.
Trainer Todd Pletcher opted to keep his ace Wait a While in the barn for Saturday's $246,000 Garden City Breeders' Cup (gr. IT) but Magnificent Song proved quite a capable substitute, winning by two lengths on the Belmont Park inner turf course.
Champion Xtra Heat has been sent to David Plummer's ClassicStar Farm near Versailles, Ky. where she will be bred. The mare arrived at her owner's farm on April 18.
Most Popular Stories
- Large Crowd Watches American Pharoah Gallop
- More Than Just a Name for Run for Retts
- Team Texas Red Partners With TV Star
- Badilla Earns Emotional Win at Golden Gate
- Shadwell Sire Bahri Pensioned in England
- American Pharoah Takes Easy Gallop at Spa
- Champion Divine Fortune Dies After Fall
- Lubash Takes West Point for Second Time
- NBC Schedules Two-Hour Travers Broadcast
- Belmont Winner Palace Malice Retired