Jer-Mar Stable's Win Willy, a fan favorite at Oaklawn Park since winning the 2009 Rebel Stakes (gr. II) at odds of 56-1, is preparing to kick off his 7-year-old season with a start in the $75,000 Fifth Season Stakes Jan. 11.
Odds-on choice Win Willy unleashed his terrific stretch kick to win the $75,000 Fifth Season Stakes by a neck over Stachys with a well-timed ride from Cliff Berry at Oaklawn Park Jan. 16.
With a big charge through the homestretch, Win Willy picked up his first stakes win since last spring's Rebel Stakes (gr. II) when he drew away to easily take the $150,000 Razorback Handicap (gr. III) at Oaklawn Park March 6.
Win Willy, a 56-1 shot, handed Old Fashioned the first loss of his career when he outfought the heavy favorite in the final eighth of a mile to win the $300,000 Rebel Stakes (gr. II) at Oaklawn Park March 14.
Multiple graded-stakes winner Nasty Storm will square off against up-and-coming Interest Only Sept. 7 in the $75,000 Weekend Delight Stakes, the first stakes of the Turfway Park fall meet.
Keeneland's $100,000 Madison Stakes on the Wednesday card has drawn a field of eight fillies steeped in graded stakes success.
City Fair ran another strong race Saturday, winning the $82,775 Correction Handicap at Aqueduct by two lengths. City Fair, a 4-year-old trained by D. Wayne Lukas, has finished third or better in 11 of her last 12 starts while winning five.
Xtra Heat returned to her winning ways Jan. 1, winning Aqueduct's six-furlong Interborough Handicap by 5 1/2 lengths. With her victory, Xtra Heat has now won 18 of her 23 career starts, with three seconds and a third, for earnings of $1,323,305.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Works Toward Seasonal Bow
- BC Juvenile Winner Texas Red Retired
- American Gal, Union Strike Meet in Starlet
- Resilient Humor Debut Winner for Sassy Image
- Retired Valet Ward Dies in Kentucky
- Trainer Brown Gearing Up for Gulfstream
- A Look Back at A.P. Indy's Hollywood Futurity
- Aqueduct Announcers Bring Youth, Experience
- Promising Mastery Heads Los Al Futurity Field
- Ferndale Racetrack OK After Earthquake