Veteran Turfway Park trainer David Pate died Saturday, July 6 at University Hospital in Cincinnati after suffering a brain aneurysm. He was 70.
Amanda Tamburello, a 33-year-old apprentice rider, rode three winners on River Downs' nine-race opening day card.
Animal control officials and police are currently looking for a Thoroughbred trainer they suspect has left several horses either dead or neglected in Clermont County near Cincinnati, Ohio.
Delta Air Lines will offer customers more than 5,900 additional seats between Louisville and its hubs in Atlanta, Cincinnati, and New York in celebration of the 133rd Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I). Customers now can book Delta's added Derby flights on delta.com.
The Gary Birzer Benefit featuring a silent and live auction will take place at River Downs Sept. 4, to help raise funds for the 28-year-old jockey who remains paralyzed from the waist down after a spill July 20, 2004 at Mountaineer Park in Chester, W.Va.
River Downs, which will open for its 80th season Friday, has installed a new racing surface on its main track that is expected to better withstand the rigors of live racing during the summer months and require less daily maintenance.
- By Tom LaMarra
A citywide curfew will force bettors who live in the city to leave River Downs early. Cincinnati is dealing with violence and looting brought on by an April 7 shooting that has triggered racial conflict.
A change in post times to 5:00 p.m. (ET) for Friday through Monday has had a negative effect on River Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Dutchess Views Lowers Fee for Big Brown
- Pure Sensation Questionable for HK Sprint
- Arrogate Works Toward Seasonal Bow
- Able Friend Out to Regain Hong Kong Glory
- BC Juvenile Winner Texas Red Retired
- American Gal, Union Strike Meet in Starlet
- Retired Valet Ward Dies in Kentucky
- Resilient Humor Debut Winner for Sassy Image
- Trainer Brown Gearing Up for Gulfstream
- Promising Mastery Heads Los Al Futurity Field