Ken and Sarah Ramsey's Accredit cruised through the slop May 2 to win the seven-furlong Churchill Downs Handicap (gr. II), the first stakes race on the Kentucky Derby undercard.
Trainer Jerry Hollendorfer and jockey Russell Baze have won a lot of races together, mostly in northern California. But Saturday they began the stakes program on Kentucky Derby day with a win in the $229,000 Churchill Downs Handicap (gr. II).
King's Bishop (gr. I) winner Pomeroy is a mild 4-1 favorite in the $200,000-added Churchill Downs Handicap (gr. II), which drew a full field of 12 going seven furlongs Saturday.
The Allen Paulson Living Trust's Azeri, the 2002 "Horse of the Year" and champion older filly or mare in 2003, has been assigned high weight of 125 pounds for an expected start in Saturday's $250,000-added Humana Distaff (gr. I) at Churchill Downs.
The races on the Derby Day undercard have become richer and more important over the last six years. This year four graded stakes races will be run before the Run for the Roses.
The $200,000-added Churchill Downs Handicap (gr. II), like most of Saturday's stakes races at the Louisville track, will feature a Bobby Frankel-trained morning line favorite in Flaxman Holdings' Aldebaran.
A deep and talented field of 10 sprinters will contest Saturday's $100,000 Churchill Downs Handicap (gr. II) at seven furlongs in what could be an east-west showdown of sorts.
Alannan set a track record, the second established Saturday at Churchill Downs in just three races, in winning the Churchill Downs Handicap (gr. II). The race was marred by and injury suffered by Rollin With Nolan.
Most Popular Stories
- Baffert Talks 2017 Triple Crown
- Elliott Honored with George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award
- Boat Trip Gets First Foal Times Three
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Oscar Performance Targeting Keeneland for Season Debut
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Canadian Horse Racing Plans Anniversary 250 Celebration
- Local Hero, Guest Suite Top Risen Star Selections
- Three Rules Fires Florida Bullet