Ken and Sarah Ramsey's Accredit cruised through the slop May 2 to win the seven-furlong Churchill Downs Handicap (gr. II), the first stakes race on the Kentucky Derby undercard.
Trainer Jerry Hollendorfer and jockey Russell Baze have won a lot of races together, mostly in northern California. But Saturday they began the stakes program on Kentucky Derby day with a win in the $229,000 Churchill Downs Handicap (gr. II).
King's Bishop (gr. I) winner Pomeroy is a mild 4-1 favorite in the $200,000-added Churchill Downs Handicap (gr. II), which drew a full field of 12 going seven furlongs Saturday.
The Allen Paulson Living Trust's Azeri, the 2002 "Horse of the Year" and champion older filly or mare in 2003, has been assigned high weight of 125 pounds for an expected start in Saturday's $250,000-added Humana Distaff (gr. I) at Churchill Downs.
The races on the Derby Day undercard have become richer and more important over the last six years. This year four graded stakes races will be run before the Run for the Roses.
The $200,000-added Churchill Downs Handicap (gr. II), like most of Saturday's stakes races at the Louisville track, will feature a Bobby Frankel-trained morning line favorite in Flaxman Holdings' Aldebaran.
A deep and talented field of 10 sprinters will contest Saturday's $100,000 Churchill Downs Handicap (gr. II) at seven furlongs in what could be an east-west showdown of sorts.
Alannan set a track record, the second established Saturday at Churchill Downs in just three races, in winning the Churchill Downs Handicap (gr. II). The race was marred by and injury suffered by Rollin With Nolan.
Most Popular Stories
- Tepin Works; Trip to Royal Ascot Uncertain
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16
- California Chrome 'Stronger' in Los Al Drill
- Mike Venezia Memorial Award to Go to Pino
- Exaggerator Gallops at Pimlico Race Course
- Kentucky Suspends Umarov for 10 Years
- Destin Work is 'Stamina Builder' for Belmont
- Rockingham to End All Operations Aug. 31
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Velasquez to Ride Full-Time at Gulfstream