Sambista became the first female winner of the Champions Cup (Jpn-I), run as the Japan Cup Dirt until 2013, when pulling a 66-1 upset Dec. 6 at Chukyo Racecourse.
With two previous third-place finishes in the race formerly known as the Japan Cup Dirt, Michiaki Yabe's Hokko Tarumae was too powerful this year and won the $1,638,183 Champions Cup (Jpn-I) Dec. 7 at Chukyo Racecourse.
Following his game third-place effort in the $5 million Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I), California Chrome will remain in training in 2015, co-owner and breeder Steve Coburn said Nov. 5.
Last year's Japanese sprint champion Curren Chan returned to form March 25 when she captured the $2.47 million Takamatsunomiya Kinen (Jpn-I) at newly renovated Chukyo Racecourse by a neck over San Carlo.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Logs Weekly Drill at Los Al
- Harzand Completes Derby Double at Curragh
- Jockey Hill Guides in 1,000th Winner
- Arrogate Impresses at Santa Anita
- How a Sire Line Develops
- Far From Over Victorious in Return
- Exclusive Contest: Name the White-Headed Foal
- Phantom Dollars Flood Track's Double Pool
- Fairplex, Santa Anita House Evacuated Horses
- Mohaymen Back to Work in New York