Overbrook Farm homebred Battle Plan, a grade II winner this year, has been retired from racing because of a torn suspensory in his right front leg.
A Circuit Court judge in Kentucky has awarded Jerry Brown, who operates Thoro-Graph, Inc., a total of $25,000 (plus costs) for his role in the purchase by James Lauffer of a half-interest in Rachel Alexandra.
High quality stock from the Overbrook Farm dispersal and stronger participation by American buyers at the top of the market boosted the results for the second session of the Keeneland November breeding stock sale.
Cotton Blossom, winner of the 2007 Acorn Stakes (gr. I), became the most expensive horse sold so far at the Keeneland November breeding stock sale when she brought $2.3 million during the auction's second session Nov. 11 in Lexington.
The Overbrook Farm dispersal, which began at the Keeneland September yearling sale, will not mark the end of the Young family's involvement in the Thoroughbred business. Chris Young, the 34-year-old grandson of Overbrook founder W.T. Young, is making plans for his own venture that probably will emphasize racing.
Soul City Slew, who had run for a $50,000 claiming tag in March, pulled off an upset in the $126,000 Potrero Grande Handicap (gr. II) April 4 at Santa Anita Park in California, defeating favored Halo Najib by a half-length. It was the first stakes win of any kind for Soul City Slew, who had shown flashes of promise previously when he had finished third in both the 2007 Pat O'Brien Handicap (gr. II) and the 2008 San Carlos Handicap (gr. II).
Clearly Foxy, the third-place finisher in the American Oaks (gr. IT) at Hollywood Park July 5, has been sidelined with a hind ankle injury and will not race again this year, according to Overbrook Farm racing manager Chris Young.
Most Popular Stories
- Lord Nelson Fighting Laminitis, to Miss Breeding Season
- Deal Reached on Pegasus Starting Slot for Gun Runner
- California Chrome's Dubai Win voted Moment of the Year
- A. P. Indy Fires Another Across the Bow
- Two New Sires to California's Milky Way Farm
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Summer Front's First Foal is a Filly
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes
- Jockey Lane Luzzi Follows in Father's Footsteps
- NY Proposes Sweeping Equine Drug, Record Rules