Jockey Corey Lanerie and owners Ken and Sarah Ramsey have locked up the respective jockey and owner titles at Churchill Downs as the 21-day fall meet enters its final day Nov. 29.
- By Frank Angst
Count trainer Chris Richard as one of the more enthusiastic horsemen regarding the recent removal of Polytrack and installation of dirt before this year's fall meet at Keeneland. read blog
Leading Prairie Meadows jockey David Mello landed his 1,000th lifetime victory the evening of July 12 when he guided Voodooville to a three-length victory in the fourth race at the Altoona, Iowa, track.
Kid Brock became the first winner for deceased 2009 champion and classic winner Summer Bird when he powered to a clear victory July 6 at Prairie Meadows Racetrack & Casino.
With Anticipation Stakes (gr. IIT) winner Bashart tops a field of 12 juveniles entered for the $150,000 Bourbon Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Keeneland Oct. 6.
Jockey Terry Thompson registered the 3,000th victory of his career in the first race at Prairie Meadows July 14 aboard Ifoundmy Mojo.
Outta Tune, claimed for $5,000 last summer, became a graded stakes winner when he outlasted Apriority in the $250,000 Count Fleet Sprint Handicap (gr. III) at Oaklawn Park April 14.
The 66-day meet at Prairie Meadows produced a 5.7% increase in average on-track wagering, but a 2.7% decline in total betting due to a dip in wagering from simulcast outlets.
Irish Dreamer, a $1,500 Ocala Breeders' Sale colt, stormed to a decisive upset victory in the $50,000 Dixieland Stakes on opening day at Oaklawn Park Friday before a crowd of 20,070.
Most Popular Stories
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Classic Empire Out of Fountain of Youth
- Epicharis Earns Japan's Kentucky Derby Bid
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby
- Mo Town Set for 3-Year-Old Debut in Risen Star
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Gold Dream Punches Ticket to BC Classic
- Royal Delta Half Brother Scores on Gulfstream Turf
- Cuddle Alert Gives Sire Bedford Falls First Stakes Win
- Terra Promessa Goes Gate to Wire in Bayakoa