The Illinois Racing Board June 23, amid warnings the state's racing industry is at "death's door," narrowly refused to let Arlington International Racecourse trim its daily programs to fewer than eight races.
Arlington Park, which begins its 2013 season May 3, has made a change in its configuration for races contested at 1 1/16 miles on the main track.
A schedule of 11 overnight stakes races worth an aggregate $725,000 for the 2012 meet was announced by Arlington Park March 21.
Arlington Park is offering a free pass to its biggest races for the winners of key European events - the latest in a long series of efforts to bolster the "international" part of the "International Festival of Racing."
Most Popular Stories
- American Cleopatra Entered at Del Mar
- Nyquist, Exaggerator Renew Rivalry in Haskell
- Lady Eli Pointed to Aug. 27 Ballston Spa
- Exaggerator to Run in Haskell
- Alsvid Takes on Lord Nelson in Bing Crosby
- Stellar Wind to Challenge Beholder Again
- Mountaineer's Leading Trainer Suspended
- Shuvee Class Drop for Grade I Winner Curalina
- Nyquist Arrives at Monmouth
- Bradester Towers Over Monmouth Cup Field