Chris McCarron rode his first winner at old Bowie Race Course in 1974, and on Saturday, he'll have a chance to ride the 7,000th winner of his career in Maryland during the "Spring Challenge" at Pimlico Race Course.
The focus this weekend may primarily be on 3-year-olds, with the Wood Memorial in New York, Blue Grass Stakes in Kentucky, and Arkansas Derby all on tap, but other horses should not be forgotten. In California, Bienamado heads the lineup in Santa Anita's grade I San Juan Capistrano.
Jockey Chris McCarron has joined the Youbet.com board of directors. McCarron has been a company spokesman since 1996. He replaces Charles D. Peebler Jr., who has stepped down.
Aaron and Marie Jones' Riboletta won her fourth consecutive race Saturday at Del Mar, reeling in pacesetter Gourmet Girl before pulling away to win the $300,000 Clement L. Hirsch Handicap (gr. II).
Trudy McCaffery, John Toffan and Robert Sangster's Bienamado reeled in early pacesetter Self Feeder racing into the third turn and drew away through the stretch to win the $250,000 Sunset Handicap (gr. IIT) by 1 1/2 lengths Sunday at Hollywood Park. Deploy Venture finished second, 1 1/2 lengths ahead of Single Empire.
Most Popular Stories
- Trainer D'Angelo Dies at 55
- Gala Award: Not Your Typical Turf Pedigree
- Former Jockey Davis Focus of HRTV Documentary
- Bogdan, Former NY Breeders Lobbyist, Dies
- Downey Appointed to Judicial Position in KY
- 'Night of the Stars' to Benefit CKRH
- Xpressbet to Sponsor HOF Jockey Challenge
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Winter Not a Serious Threat to Eastern Tent Caterpillar Eggs
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail