Jockey Chris Landeros won his 1,000th race Sept. 7 when he guided Major Marvel to victory in the $100,000 Unbridled Stakes at Louisiana Downs.
Mister Marti Gras won the inaugural $125,000 Mystic Lake Mile at Canterbury Park July 13 as the 3-5 favorite, a race after Awesome Flower was victorious in the $100,000 Lady Canterbury Stakes.
Southern California shipper Thirtyfirststreet, making his first start on turf at odds of 21-1, took advantage of a crawling pace to edge Close Ally by a half-length in the $200,000 Lone Star Derby May 30.
Schramsberg, a son of Storm Cat out of the champion Serena's Song, registered his first graded stakes victory when in the $200,000 John B. Connally Turf Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Sam Houston Houston Race Park Jan. 29.
In spite a slight gain in average daily attendance, on-track wagering and overall handle declined during the 60-day meet at Lone Star Park that concluded July 18.
Lone Star's 2010 spring meet will run April 8 to July 18, Thursdays through Sundays. Opening night will feature the Premiere Stakes for 3-year-olds and upward.
Lone Star Park ended its 2009 spring Thoroughbred meet, which was run from April 9 through July 26, with decreases in both attendance and handle.
Most Popular Stories
- Quality Road's First Starter Scores Easy Win
- Key Owners, Trainers to Publicize Vet Records
- Take Charge Lady is KY Broodmare of the Year
- Wicked Strong Puts in Solid Breeze at Belmont
- NTRA Reports Positive Financial Results
- Broodmare of the Year Take Charge Lady
- Slideshow: Take Charge Lady
- That Handicapping Show: Illinois Derby
- Interest High for Oklahoma City Summer Sale
- Injury Knocks Constitution Off Derby Trail