A Bernardini half brother to grade I winner R Heat Lightning brings $925,000 on the third day of Book One at the 2014 Keeneland September yearling sale.
The third day of the Keeneland January horses of all ages sale saw a Medaglia d'Oro yearling colt make headlines while steady interest in both yearlings and broodmares helped the median nearly double compared with last year.
Chris Baccari enjoyed seeing Cosmo Girl take a step toward her new career as a broodmare after she sold for $190,000 on Jan. 9 at the Keeneland January horses of all ages sale in Lexington.
Ice Box, 2010 Florida Derby (gr. I) winner and Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) runner-up, was represented by his first foal on Jan. 5.
A Tapit colt brought the most expensive price of $280,000 from Canadian-based trainer Mark Casse, agent.
The sale kicks off what probably will be another tough year for commercial breeders.
Third session gross plummets 42.4% while median price plunges 45%.
Great Hunter is a hot property on this year's Triple Crown trail, but who has right to claim the grade I winner as legal property looms as a big question.
Most Popular Stories
- 2015 Florida Derby Race Sequence
- Martin Defends Sending 'Chrome' to Ascot
- Lurie Joins Hoosier Park, Indiana Grand Teams
- Corinthian Colt Paces F-T Texas Sale
- New Horsemen's Incentives at Pimlico Meet
- Lenny's Place: Opening Day Edition
- Carpe Diem Back at Keeneland for Blue Grass
- Fracture Knocks Far From Over Off Derby Trail
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for March 31, 2015
- Stallion Sharp Humor Dies in South Korea