The third day of the Keeneland January horses of all ages sale saw a Medaglia d'Oro yearling colt make headlines while steady interest in both yearlings and broodmares helped the median nearly double compared with last year.
Chris Baccari enjoyed seeing Cosmo Girl take a step toward her new career as a broodmare after she sold for $190,000 on Jan. 9 at the Keeneland January horses of all ages sale in Lexington.
Ice Box, 2010 Florida Derby (gr. I) winner and Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) runner-up, was represented by his first foal on Jan. 5.
A Tapit colt brought the most expensive price of $280,000 from Canadian-based trainer Mark Casse, agent.
The sale kicks off what probably will be another tough year for commercial breeders.
Third session gross plummets 42.4% while median price plunges 45%.
Great Hunter is a hot property on this year's Triple Crown trail, but who has right to claim the grade I winner as legal property looms as a big question.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Returning Early From Break
- Wise Dan Turns in First Breeze Since Surgery
- The Pizza Man Key Ingredient To Arlington
- Jockey Stevens to Undergo Knee Surgery
- Multiple Group I Winner The Fugue Retired
- The Influence of His Majesty
- French Derby Duo Clash Again at Longchamp
- Tattersalls July Sale Ends on High Note
- Belmont to Offer Low-Roller Player Tourney
- Two Fillies Among 37 Ohio Derby Nominees