Grade I winner Paynter, whose comeback from life-threatening illness more than a year ago was stalled in the Woodward Stakes (gr. I), will attempt to atone at Santa Anita Sept. 28 in a race named for his sire, Awesome Again.
With two dozen 3-year-olds overflowing the entry box, the $250,000 Del Mar Derby (gr. IIT) was split into two divisions to be contested on the turf Sept. 1.
Continuing a storybook comeback from near death last spring after winning the Haskell Invitational (gr. I), Paynter will pack 122 pounds versus five solid rivals July 27 in the $200,000 San Diego Handicap (gr. I).
Preakness Stakes (gr. I) victor Oxbow and Wood Memorial (gr. I) winner Verrazano are among those likely to start in the $1 million William Hill Haskell Invitational (gr. I) at Monmouth Park July 28.
Chief Havoc, enjoying a big tactical advantage over his three rivals, went gate to wire as the odds-on choice to capture the $147,000 Swaps Stakes (gr. II) July 4 at Betfair Hollywood Park.
Grade I winner Java's War will make his California debut for trainer Ken McPeek in the $150,000 Swaps Stakes (gr. II) July 4 against just three opponents at Betfair Hollywood Park.
Invaders from California and England journey to Belmont for major 2-year-old test.
Most Popular Stories
- Love the Chase to Sell at F-T November
- Jim Rome Remembers Shared Belief
- Woodward Up Next for Frosted
- Lady Eli's Miracle Comeback Looms
- Unbeaten Enola Gray Steps Up in Torrey Pines
- Del Mar to Cut Race Dates, Open Later in 2017
- Majesto Spikes Fever, to Scratch From Travers
- 'Crook' 50th Black-Type Winner for Freud
- Runhappy Gets Back to Work at Keeneland
- Full Travers Field Awaits Exaggerator