Plenty of promising juveniles have fallen short in their first try at two turns, but Cheyenne Stables' Mastery shrugged off the looming question mark Dec. 10 in the $300,000 Los Alamitos Cash Call Futurity (gr. I).
Dual grade II winner Madefromlucky seeks a rebound from his seventh in the Sept. 19 Pennsylvania Derby (gr. II) in the $150,000 Discovery Handicap (gr. III) Nov. 11 at Aqueduct Racetrack.
Todd Pletcher trainee Madefromlucky enjoyed some class relief and found his way to the winner's circle May 9 in the $200,000 Peter Pan Stakes (gr. II) at Belmont Park, with the June 6 Belmont Stakes (gr. I) his next target.
A record-setting $430,000 yearling was the highlight of a strong Fasig-Tipton New York-bred preferred yearling sale, which ended its two-night run on a powerful upswing for the third year in a row.
Caleb's Posse, last year's Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile (gr. I) winner, has been retired from racing and will stand at Robert N. Clay's Three Chimneys Farm near Midway, Ky., in 2013.
Apprentice Quincy Hamilton ended Cliff Berry's run of eight consecutive riding titles at Remington Park as the Oklahoma track brought down the curtain on its 65-day meeting for 2004 Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Stronach Group Explores Expansion into Massachusetts
- Baffert Still Aiming Arrogate for Pacific Classic
- Focused Hemsworth Entered in Curlin Stakes
- 139 Cataloged for Texas Yearling and Mixed Sale
- Gutsy Move Gets Abel Tasman CCA Oaks Win
- Historical Gains in Kentucky
- Lady Eli Runs 'One of Her Greatest Races to Date'
- Big World to be Offered at Fasig-Tipton November Sale
- Abel Tasman, Elate Exit CCA Oaks in Good Order