Plenty of promising juveniles have fallen short in their first try at two turns, but Cheyenne Stables' Mastery shrugged off the looming question mark Dec. 10 in the $300,000 Los Alamitos Cash Call Futurity (gr. I).
Dual grade II winner Madefromlucky seeks a rebound from his seventh in the Sept. 19 Pennsylvania Derby (gr. II) in the $150,000 Discovery Handicap (gr. III) Nov. 11 at Aqueduct Racetrack.
Todd Pletcher trainee Madefromlucky enjoyed some class relief and found his way to the winner's circle May 9 in the $200,000 Peter Pan Stakes (gr. II) at Belmont Park, with the June 6 Belmont Stakes (gr. I) his next target.
A record-setting $430,000 yearling was the highlight of a strong Fasig-Tipton New York-bred preferred yearling sale, which ended its two-night run on a powerful upswing for the third year in a row.
Caleb's Posse, last year's Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile (gr. I) winner, has been retired from racing and will stand at Robert N. Clay's Three Chimneys Farm near Midway, Ky., in 2013.
Apprentice Quincy Hamilton ended Cliff Berry's run of eight consecutive riding titles at Remington Park as the Oklahoma track brought down the curtain on its 65-day meeting for 2004 Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- First Foal by Fast Anna Born in New York
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes
- End of Fair Grounds Quarantine Appears to be on Horizon
- Remains of Glacial Princess to be Moved to Old Friends
- Keeneland Announces Spring Meet Stakes Schedule
- Japan Gets a NY Filly as His First Foal
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- The Big Beast Gets a Florida-Bred Colt as First Foal
- Spendthrift Juvenile Stallion Stakes to Add Filly Race
- Finnegans Wake to Stand at Ballena Vista Farm