Cal Expo won a tussle to gain an extra week on the summer fair racing calendar beginning in July 2015 after several months of debate when the California Horse Racing Board approved the dates plan.
After more than 15 years of uncertainty over its future, Bay Meadows appears headed for its last call. May 11 is the final day of the current spring stand for the oldest continually operating racetrack in California.
Longtime Northern California racing steward Charlie Dougherty died March 25 at his home in Burlingame, Calif., because of congestive heart failure.
With Northern California-based horses being lured to other racing jurisdictions offering higher purses and increased turf racing during the summer, members of the California Horse Racing Board asked racing leaders Friday to outline their efforts to stem the exodus and prevent fields from shrinking to disastrous levels.
Most Popular Stories
- Favored American Pharoah Wins Kentucky Derby
- Preakness Could Be Rematch for Derby Top 3
- Longtime Owner/Breeder Miles Dies at 85
- Kentucky Derby Wrap
- Able Friend Wins Champions Mile in Easy Romp
- Derby Overnight Rating Highest Since 1992
- Gold Ship Sails to Breakthrough Tenno Sho Win
- Kentucky Derby: Carrots for American Pharoah
- 2015 Kentucky Derby Race Sequence
- Baffert: Derby Win 'Was a Big Sigh of Relief'