Code West, responding to strong handling from jockey Cliff Berry in the stretch, got up in time to win the $176,050 Governor's Cup Stakes the night of Aug. 16 at Remington Park for his first victory since June 2013.
Code West and Uncaptured treated fans at Churchill Downs to a thrilling stretch drive in the $113,100 Matt Winn Stakes (gr. III) on the night of June 15, with the Bob Baffert-trained son of Lemon Drop Kid winning by a head.
Kiaran McLaughlin has been saying for several weeks that Charitable Man is one of the most talented 3-year-olds in the country and he only needed some more seasoning to show it. On May 9 in the $200,000 Peter Pan (gr. II), the son of Lemon Drop Kid backed up his trainer's words, taking over at the top of the lane and powering to a 3 3/4-length score under Alan Garcia.
Jockey Alan Garcia, who had his option of two top Kiaran McLaughlin-trained colts in the $250,000 Futurity at Belmont Park, made the right call when he guided favored Charitable Man to a convincing victory Sept. 13.
Edward P. Evans' strong broodmare band at his Spring Hill Farm near Casanova, Va., has gotten stronger
Trainer Ken McPeek said Tuesday morning that Select Stable's Take Charge Lady will not ship to Baltimore for Friday's Black-Eyed Susan Stakes (gr. II).
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah's Haskell Stopover
- Solow Extends Group I Win Streak in Sussex
- AAEP Seeks EIPH Treatment Alternatives
- American Pharoah Has Final Work for Haskell
- Quick Arrest Following Delaware Park Shooting
- Contessa Sets Racing Education Clinic Dates
- American Pharoah Will Dictate Race Schedule
- One-Fifth Curlin Share Surpasses $6 Million
- Breaking Lucky Surprises in Prince of Wales
- CDI Plans to Demolish Calder Grandstand