In a split decision worthy of a season in which very little was settled definitively on the racetrack, the California-bred Acclamation notched the Eclipse Award for 2011's top older male.
Claiborne Farm and Adele Dilschneider's aptly name Blame won the Eclipse Award for champion older male of 2010. The son of Arch capped his season with a neck victory over Zenyatta in the Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I).
As the only member of the elite crop of 2007 3-year-olds to return to racing as a 4-year-old, Curlin had the hopes of racing fans across the country resting on his shoulders as he embarked on an ambitious campaign that was designed to break new ground in international racing.
Lawyer Ron made a successful case for himself as 2007's champion older male. Racing for the estate of his breeder and original owner, the late Ownesboro, Ky., businessman James T. Hines Jr., Lawyer Ron, for the second consecutive season, earned better than $1 million, and won a pair of grade I contests in impressive fashion.
Most Popular Stories
- Vicar's in Trouble Turns in Derby Work
- Kentucky Derby Stars Come Out at Keeneland
- My Miss Sophia, Got Lucky Breeze at Churchill
- Mine That Bird Still Flies in Kentucky
- Rosalind Works Toward Kentucky Oaks
- Sisterly Love Scores Doubledogdare Upset
- TimeformUS Saturday Stakes Plays
- Speightstown Colt Works Quick Quarter at OBS
- Indiana Grand Racing & Casino Begins New Era
- Samraat, Uncle Sigh Work at Belmont