In a split decision worthy of a season in which very little was settled definitively on the racetrack, the California-bred Acclamation notched the Eclipse Award for 2011's top older male.
Claiborne Farm and Adele Dilschneider's aptly name Blame won the Eclipse Award for champion older male of 2010. The son of Arch capped his season with a neck victory over Zenyatta in the Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I).
As the only member of the elite crop of 2007 3-year-olds to return to racing as a 4-year-old, Curlin had the hopes of racing fans across the country resting on his shoulders as he embarked on an ambitious campaign that was designed to break new ground in international racing.
Lawyer Ron made a successful case for himself as 2007's champion older male. Racing for the estate of his breeder and original owner, the late Ownesboro, Ky., businessman James T. Hines Jr., Lawyer Ron, for the second consecutive season, earned better than $1 million, and won a pair of grade I contests in impressive fashion.
Most Popular Stories
- Secretariat Celebration Set for March 29
- Trainer Michael D'Angelo Dies at 55
- Breeders' Cup Ramps Up Recruiting in Europe
- NTRA Safety Alliance Re-Accredits Aqueduct
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Concern, Tuscalee Inducted into Maryland Hall
- Former Jockey Davis Focus of HRTV Documentary
- Gala Award: Not Your Typical Turf Pedigree