Beholder's smashing victory in the Breeders' Cup Distaff (gr. I) ensured her a second consecutive Eclipse Award. She was voted champion 3-year-old filly of 2013 over finalists Princess of Sylmar and Close Hatches.
Royal Delta had a huge year in 2011, both on the racetrack and in the auction ring, and the filly will kick off 2012 with an Eclipse Award as new owner Ben Leon Jr. points her toward greater accomplishments.
Don't tell Proud Spell's owner and breeder, Brereton C. Jones, that his bay filly isn't tough. Even though the daughter of Proud Citizen lacks size, Jones has seen plenty of evidence that she's one of the grittiest runners on the track today.
If she were human, you would say Smuggler was born with a silver spoon in her mouth. After all, her sire, Unbridled, and dam, Inside Information, both were champions. In addition, Smuggler is a homebred who races for the Phipps Stable, which has a long tradition of breeding the best to the best and getting the best.
The year 2001 was a hot one for anyone trying to keep pace with Xtra Heat. The bargain-basement $5,000 purchase brought attention to the oft-neglected sprint filly division by her domination of her rivals week in and week out, then nearly shook the industry to the core when she just failed to pull off a major upset at the World Thoroughbred Championships in the Penske Auto Center Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I).
Most Popular Stories
- Mine That Bird Still Flies in Kentucky
- Sisterly Love Scores Doubledogdare Upset
- TimeformUS Saturday Stakes Plays
- Speightstown Colt Works Quick Quarter at OBS
- Samraat, Uncle Sigh Work at Belmont
- Mike Mitchell to Step Down as Head Trainer
- Churchill Derby, Oaks Security Plan Released
- Indiana Grand Racing & Casino Begins New Era
- A Case for Full Siblings
- Key Owners, Trainers to Publicize Vet Records