Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots in New Orleans has earned re-accreditation from the National Thoroughbred Racing Association's Safety and Integrity Alliance, it was announced Dec. 3.
The day after the New York Racing Association announced major management changes that included the replacement of racing secretary Mike Lakow, industry participants had plenty of questions but got no definitive answers.
The first horse to exceed the established limit of 37 millimoles in New York Racing Association's new blood gas testing program has been cleared through a second battery of tests over a three-day quarantine period conducted in the race day security barn at Belmont Park.
Under new New York Racing Association guidelines, the minimum amount of Lasix administered to horses has been reduced and trainer declarations for eligibility for the diuretic will no longer be accepted.
New York Racing Association's veterinarian team has tested every horse in quarantined barn 60 at Belmont Park after the filly Lady Libby showed signs of contracting the respiratory disease strangles.
The New York Racing Association placed the Belmont Park barn of trainer Steve Kappes under quarantine May 27 following discovery of a suspected case of strangles.
Strangles has forced the New York Racing Association to place temporary restrictions on horses entering the grounds at either Belmont Park or Aqueduct.
Because Pocus Hocus has a bad habit of waiting on other horses when she gets the lead, trainer Jimmy Jerkens and jockey Jose Santos allowed her to play catch up in Saturday's $107,500 Turnback The Alarm Handicap (gr. III). The result was a resounding 5 ¼-length victory at Aqueduct.
The American Association of Equine Practitioners created the On-Call program 11 years ago to assist media in understanding injuries and treatment of horses before, during, and after upper-echelon equine events. For this year's Kentucky Derby, the team is headed by Dr. Larry Bramlage.
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Strong Gains at OBS Session Led by Record Tiznow Colt
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot