Pick of the Litter benefited from a ground-saving trip under Corey Lanerie to get up in the last strides over favored Departing in the $200,000 Fayette Stakes (gr. II), earning his first graded win Oct. 25 at Keeneland.
Trainer Marcus Vitali got what he was looking for in the $75,000 Eight Miles West Stakes Oct. 11 at Gulfstream Park West -- a sign that Valid deserved a trip to Santa Anita Park for the Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile (gr. I).
Following the conclusion of the Fasig-Tipton Midlantic sale of 2-year-olds in training, president Boyd Browning said he was pleased that in spite of the fact there were 69 more horses sold this year the average was down 1.3%.
Not long after a $600,000 Indian Charlie colt became the new sale topper during the auction's second session, another colt by that sire was hammered down for half that amount.
Most Popular Stories
- Terranovas Seek Derby Success With El Kabeir
- Sherman: Ascot Could Be Rough on 'Chrome'
- California Chrome Headed to Royal Ascot
- From Turf to Dirt, Bolo Targets SA Derby
- Prince Bishop Denies U.S. Runners in Dubai
- Pereira Taken to Hospital After SA Spill
- Unbeaten Materiality Secures Florida Derby
- American Pharoah Tops KDFW Pool 4
- Materiality New KY Derby Shooter for Pletcher
- Mubtaahij Easily Earns Kentucky Derby Spot