Carolyn Vogel's Squadron A went last to first to secure his first graded stakes win Jan. 1 in the $100,000 Mr. Prospector Stakes (gr. III) at Gulfstream Park.
Pick of the Litter benefited from a ground-saving trip under Corey Lanerie to get up in the last strides over favored Departing in the $200,000 Fayette Stakes (gr. II), earning his first graded win Oct. 25 at Keeneland.
Trainer Marcus Vitali got what he was looking for in the $75,000 Eight Miles West Stakes Oct. 11 at Gulfstream Park West -- a sign that Valid deserved a trip to Santa Anita Park for the Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile (gr. I).
Following the conclusion of the Fasig-Tipton Midlantic sale of 2-year-olds in training, president Boyd Browning said he was pleased that in spite of the fact there were 69 more horses sold this year the average was down 1.3%.
Not long after a $600,000 Indian Charlie colt became the new sale topper during the auction's second session, another colt by that sire was hammered down for half that amount.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Fast and Accurate Scores Spiral Upset
- Fear the Cowboy Takes Skip Away in Late Drive
- Thunder Snow Gets Up in UAE Derby
- Mind Your Biscuits Rises to Occasion in Golden Shaheen
- I Thought I had Seen it All
- Fields Set for Louisiana Derby, Fair Grounds Oaks
- Second Summer Catches Sharp Azteca in Godolphin Mile
- Irish War Cry Works With Wood Memorial Bid Likely
- Jack Hobbs, Vivlos Score on the Turf at Meydan