Pick of the Litter benefited from a ground-saving trip under Corey Lanerie to get up in the last strides over favored Departing in the $200,000 Fayette Stakes (gr. II), earning his first graded win Oct. 25 at Keeneland.
Trainer Marcus Vitali got what he was looking for in the $75,000 Eight Miles West Stakes Oct. 11 at Gulfstream Park West -- a sign that Valid deserved a trip to Santa Anita Park for the Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile (gr. I).
Following the conclusion of the Fasig-Tipton Midlantic sale of 2-year-olds in training, president Boyd Browning said he was pleased that in spite of the fact there were 69 more horses sold this year the average was down 1.3%.
Not long after a $600,000 Indian Charlie colt became the new sale topper during the auction's second session, another colt by that sire was hammered down for half that amount.
Most Popular Stories
- Uncertainty as Delaware Drops Pletcher Case
- Seven to Face American Pharoah in Haskell
- American Pharoah Schools at Monmouth
- Beshear, Moses to Speak at Round Table
- Desormeaux Failed Breathalyzer at Del Mar
- Desormeaux Taken Off Mounts at Del Mar
- Lady Eli Showing Improvement From Laminitis
- Untapable Looks for Shuvee Relief
- First Winners for Pair of Louisiana Stallions
- Gimme Da Lute Brings Class to Real Good Deal