After a string of four off-the-board performances in stakes races last year, trainer Michael Matz strongly considered retiring his graded stakes-winning turf mare Somali Lemonade.
Somali Lemonade surged to the lead in deep stretch and just held off multiple grade I winner Stephanie's Kitten to win the $500,000 TVG Diana Stakes (gr. IT) July 19 at Saratoga Race Course.
Somali Lemonade had never been to Pimlico Race Course before, but on the track's biggest day in front of a Preakness Day throng, the 5-year-old mare galloped to victory in the $150,000 Gallorette Handicap (gr. IIIT).
Angelica Zapata will try to register fourth straight stakes victory and first career graded stakes win when she faces a full field of fillies and mares in the $100,000 My Charmer Handicap Dec. 7 at Calder Casino & Race Course
Caroline Forgason's homebred Somali Lemonade took a little time to get the 2013 season underway but found success in her second start off the layup, winning the $250,000 Dr. James Penny Memorial Handicap (gr. IIIT) July 2.
Most Popular Stories
- Nader Leaving Hong Kong, Will Return to U.S.
- American Pharoah Forges Way to Zayat's Heart
- A Look at 2015 Homebred Derby Hopefuls
- What's Going On Here: Kentucky Derby Sires
- Dortmund to Track, Other Derby Horses Arrive
- American Pharoah Tops NTRA Poll
- California Chrome Adjusting to Newmarket
- Baffert May Not Enter Filly in Kentucky Oaks
- Ranking the Kentucky Derby Workouts
- Alto Aims High With Materiality