After a string of four off-the-board performances in stakes races last year, trainer Michael Matz strongly considered retiring his graded stakes-winning turf mare Somali Lemonade.
Somali Lemonade surged to the lead in deep stretch and just held off multiple grade I winner Stephanie's Kitten to win the $500,000 TVG Diana Stakes (gr. IT) July 19 at Saratoga Race Course.
Somali Lemonade had never been to Pimlico Race Course before, but on the track's biggest day in front of a Preakness Day throng, the 5-year-old mare galloped to victory in the $150,000 Gallorette Handicap (gr. IIIT).
Angelica Zapata will try to register fourth straight stakes victory and first career graded stakes win when she faces a full field of fillies and mares in the $100,000 My Charmer Handicap Dec. 7 at Calder Casino & Race Course
Caroline Forgason's homebred Somali Lemonade took a little time to get the 2013 season underway but found success in her second start off the layup, winning the $250,000 Dr. James Penny Memorial Handicap (gr. IIIT) July 2.
Most Popular Stories
- Crimson Giant Chasing Unlikely Big 'Cap Glory
- Breeders' Cup Tickets Go On Sale March 4
- Horses to Watch at F-T Florida Sale
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for March 3, 2015
- Five-Year Suspension, $25,000 Fine for Chapa
- African Story Tries Super Saturday Challenge
- No Grade for 2015 Herecomesthebride Stakes
- Water Bucket Heater Caused Chanteclaire Fire
- Consignors Upbeat Ahead of F-T Florida Sale
- Lopez Lets El Kabeir be "The Boss"