Bill Carl, who owned Old Colony Insurance in Lexington, died the afternoon of Jan. 12.
The first winner by grade I winner Friends Lake won June 4 at Churchill Downs.
Shaniko, a grade II track-record setter by A.P. Indy, has been retired from racing and will enter stud at Ro Parra's Millennium Farms Kentucky near Lexington.
Edgar Prado had Galloping Gal rolling late and she just got up in the final strides to beat Gingham and Lace and Jerry Bailey in the Edgewood Stakes, the first added-money event on the Kentucky Oaks day undercard at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Draws Post 13, is 3-1 Derby Favorite
- Team Optimistic, Nyquist 'Full of Energy'
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- Big Blue Kitten Heads Woodford Turf Classic
- Repole Returns With Outwork for Uncle Mo
- Lady Aurelia Awaits Queen Mary at Ascot
- Bensons Hope to Let Good Times Roll in Derby
- Court Ruling Important in Hobby Law Tax Cases
- Trainer Abrams Takes Leave of Absence
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite