Bob Baffert's lightly-raced homebred Misremembered, two-for-two on Hollywood Park's Cushion Track, presents an intriguing possibility in the $100,000 Affirmed Handicap (gr. III) June 20. The 1 1/16-mile test for 3-year-olds includes no heavyweights.
A Texas native, Steve Asmussen is the all-time leading trainer at Lone Star Park, but he has never captured the racetrack's signature event for 3-year-olds, the Lone Star Derby (gr. III). On May 9, Asmussen will have his best chance when he sends out three of the seven starters in the $400,000 contest.
Morning line favorite The Pamplemousse was scratched from the Santa Anita Derby early on the morning of the race by trainer Julio Canani after a state veterinarian check turned up a possible physical problem that needed further examination.
Trainer Julio Canani says The Pamplemousse doesn't need the lead to win the $750,000 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I) April 4. After a couple of interesting developments when entries were taken, that theory could be put to the test.
Most Popular Stories
- Favorites Dominate on Louisiana Legends Night
- Jockey Gonzalez Posts Career Victory 3,000
- Lady Eli Sparkles in Belmont Oaks
- American Pharoah to Haskell
- Nutan Easy Winner of German Derby
- Gimme Da Lute Holds On in Los Alamitos Derby
- Effinex Outlasts Tonalist at Wire in Suburban
- Force the Pass Brilliant in Belmont Derby
- U.S. Pari-Mutuel Handle Down Slightly in June
- Alliseeisgold Wires Cleveland Gold Cup