Following its business plan of purchasing mid-priced yearlings with the pedigrees and athleticism to move forward as both pinhooks and as racehorses, Excel Bloodstock targets the Barretts March sale each year.
More than 20% of the horses in Barretts' March 2-year-old sale catalog have gone through a yearling sale for six figures. That could indicate strength in the company's first select juvenile auction at Del Mar March 30.
With no seven-figure horses this year, the numbers declined at the 2015 Barretts selected sale of 2-year-olds in training Feb. 23 in Pomona, Calif., with a $400,000 son of Twirling Candy topping the one-day auction.
The strapping gray colt sold at the Barretts select 2-year-old sale March 4. Hip 67 was sold by Bruno DeBerdt's Excel Bloodstock as agent.
California-based stallions Souvenir Copy and High Demand have been sold to Nizar Anwar Abul Jadayel of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Souvenir Copy will be shipped later this year to stand in Saudi Arabia, while plans for High Demand, who could remain in the United States, have not yet been finalized.
California bloodstock agent Bruno DeBerdt and Florida pinhooker and former jockey Rudy Delguidice Jr. have formed a new venture, Excel Bloodstock.
Most Popular Stories
- Catch a Glimpse in Good Order After Nassau Scare
- Rey de Oro wins Japanese Derby
- Danzing Candy Wires Lone Star Handicap
- Ashleyluvssugar Wins Second Charles Whittingham
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Twisted Tom Works Toward Belmont Stakes
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Lady Eli Digs in to Win Gamely
- Galileo, Coolmore Dominate European Classics
- Souper Tapit Gets Graded Score in Marine Stakes