Returning to Oaklawn Park where he secured his first career stakes win, Golden Lad held off last year's Preakness Stakes (gr. I) runner-up Ride On Curlin to post a 1 3/4-length victory in the $100,000 Essex Stakes.
Golden Lad struck for a fourth consecutive win March 15 after taking charge at the quarter pole at Oaklawn Park and drawing off to an open-length victory in the $200,000 Razorback Handicap (gr. III).
Favored Broadway's Alibi, racing on an off-track for the first time in her career, made quite a splash in her stakes debut with a dominating 16 3/4-length victory in the Forward Gal (gr. II) Jan. 29 at rainy Gulfstream Park.
She has been the talk of Monmouth Park, but Miss Matched will get a big test at Saratoga Race Course on Friday, when she goes to post in the 113th running of the grade II, $250,000 Spinaway for 2-year-old fillies at seven furlongs.
A field of 11 juvenile fillies, including top-weighted stakes winners Classic Elegance and Broadway Gold have been entered for Wednesday's $150,000 Schuylerville Stakes (gr. II), the featured event on Saratoga's opening-day card.
Most Popular Stories
- Songbird All Heart at Saratoga
- Gun Runner Arrives at Monmouth for Haskell
- Dalakhani Pensioned from Stud Duty
- Bradley Reflects on Big Day at Saratoga
- Favored Amis Gizmo Captures Prince of Wales
- Old Friends Reports Death of Futural
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- Stonestreet: Rachel's Valentina Retired
- Songbird Fine After Sharp CCA Oaks Victory
- Lane's End Texas Closes, Stallions Relocate