As the barn areas at Fasig-Tipton and Keeneland were abuzz over the excitement on display Santa Anita during the two-day Breeders’ Cup World Championships, results of some races also impcated the upcoming November sales.
Darley stallion Bernardini had a big day at the Fasig-Tipton October yearling sale’s closing session Oct. 26, with two of his sons bringing two of the three highest prices of the day as the three-day auction ended on a solid note.
As horse owners, agents, and trainers went about the business of inspecting horses on the Fasig-Tipton sales grounds Oct. 22, there were indications that the yearling auction season could end on a solid note with the sale’s company’s October sale.
Fasig-Tipton doled out the hospitality for buyers and sellers over the weekend as a lead-up to the week's Saratoga selected yearling sale in which recent the recent trend of polarization between the top and bottom is expected to continue.
The Fasig-Tipton winter mixed sale concluded Feb. 9 with across-the-board declines as buyers continued to be selective and competitive on the upper echelon horses and little demand for lesser quality offerings.
Two-day February sale is last opportunity to buy broodmare and broodmare prospects before the beginning of the breeding season and a solid marketplace for just-turned yearlings.
One day after a Preakness Stakes (gr. I) victory by Oxbow, the barn area at the Maryland State Fairgrounds at Timonium was flush with activity on the eve of Fasig-Tipton's Midlantic 2-Year-Olds in Training Sale May 20-21.
- By Ron Mitchell
The lure for most owners is still a good colt, according to statistics, but two fillies topped the Fasig-Tipton Saratoga yearling sale last year.
Most Popular Stories
- Deal Reached on Pegasus Starting Slot for Gun Runner
- California Chrome's Dubai Win voted Moment of the Year
- Two New Sires to California's Milky Way Farm
- A. P. Indy Fires Another Across the Bow
- Jockey Lane Luzzi Follows in Father's Footsteps
- First Foal for Circumference is a Filly
- First Foal a Filly for Grade 1 Winner Danza
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes
- Slimmed Down Racing May Be Finding Its Footing
- Bahamian Squall's First Foal is a Colt