Turfway Park's winter/spring Thoroughbred race meet opens Jan. 1, with eight stakes highlighting the 46-day schedule. The meet runs through April 3 and includes the Horseshoe Casino Cincinnati Spiral Stakes (gr. III).
Pin Oak Stable rides a hot streak with two graded stakes winners this month, a $950,000 sale 2-year-old by sire Broken Vow, and general manager Clifford Barry-bred Florida Derby (gr. I) hopeful Itsaknockout.
After winning her first two starts by a combined 11 3/4 lengths, Michael Tabor's Sloane Square will try stakes company for the first time March 22 in the $125,000 Pure Romance Bourbonette Stakes (gr. III) at Turfway Park.
Turfway Park, which has again cut racing dates in the hope of increasing overnight purses when it reopens in late November, will offer a slimmed down stakes schedule for its holiday and winter/spring meets.
A field of at least 10, headed by Lori and George Hall's West Side Bernie, appears likely for the $500,000 Lane's End Stakes for 3-year-olds at Turfway Park March 21.
Prepping toward a date in the May 6 Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) Mt. Brilliant Farm's Dance Away Capote breezed a half-mile in :49 over the fast main track at Keeneland Friday morning.
Turfway Park's $150,000 Bourbonette Stakes on Saturday has a pair of class contenders among its six entrants: Class Above and Fond. The mile race for 3-year-old fillies will be run on the Lane's End Stakes undercard.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Arrives at Santa Anita
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby
- Texas Chrome Prevails in Oklahoma Derby
- Connect in Good Shape After PA Derby Win
- Ward: Scope Shows Lady Aurelia Bled
- Solid Keeneland Sale Ends With Declines
- Runhappy Logs Final Drill for Return
- Handle Decreased 26% at Monmouth Park in 2016
- Miyadi Suspended by CHRB After Altercation