Turfway Park's winter/spring Thoroughbred race meet opens Jan. 1, with eight stakes highlighting the 46-day schedule. The meet runs through April 3 and includes the Horseshoe Casino Cincinnati Spiral Stakes (gr. III).
Pin Oak Stable rides a hot streak with two graded stakes winners this month, a $950,000 sale 2-year-old by sire Broken Vow, and general manager Clifford Barry-bred Florida Derby (gr. I) hopeful Itsaknockout.
After winning her first two starts by a combined 11 3/4 lengths, Michael Tabor's Sloane Square will try stakes company for the first time March 22 in the $125,000 Pure Romance Bourbonette Stakes (gr. III) at Turfway Park.
Turfway Park, which has again cut racing dates in the hope of increasing overnight purses when it reopens in late November, will offer a slimmed down stakes schedule for its holiday and winter/spring meets.
A field of at least 10, headed by Lori and George Hall's West Side Bernie, appears likely for the $500,000 Lane's End Stakes for 3-year-olds at Turfway Park March 21.
Prepping toward a date in the May 6 Kentucky Oaks (gr. I) Mt. Brilliant Farm's Dance Away Capote breezed a half-mile in :49 over the fast main track at Keeneland Friday morning.
Turfway Park's $150,000 Bourbonette Stakes on Saturday has a pair of class contenders among its six entrants: Class Above and Fond. The mile race for 3-year-old fillies will be run on the Lane's End Stakes undercard.
Most Popular Stories
- Japan Gets a NY Filly as His First Foal
- A Look Back at Quack's California Derby
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- Southwest the Next Target for Uncontested
- Finest City Entered for 2017 Debut in Santa Monica
- Awesome Slew Stands Out in Sunshine Millions Classic
- Uncle Lino Back to Work at Santa Anita
- First Foal by American Pharoah Born at Brookdale Farm
- Strong Racing Stable Has Oxley Looking Forward
- Eclipse Awards to be Televised on TVG2