Sent off at odds of 5-2, Mike Tarp's American County went wire-to-wire to win the $250,000 Sunshine Millions Oaks at Gulfstream Park Jan. 26.
Although the Sunshine Millions races feature horses bred in Florida and California, the likely favorite for the Sunshine Millions Oaks will be shipping in from Louisiana's Fair Grounds with jockey Shaun Bridgmohan along to ride for trainer Steve Asmussen.
The inaugural "Santa Sprint Saturday" package at Fair Grounds turned into a two-man show Dec. 22, as trainer Steve Asmussen and jockey Shaun Bridgmohan combined to win all four $100,000 dirt stakes and racked up a whopping six victories on the 10-race card.
In a dramatic finish with three horses on the wire, Saratoga's opening day feature Wednesday went to Subtle Aly, who just edged a game I Promise and Blitzing in the $111,000 Schuylerville Stakes (gr. III) for 2-year-old fillies.
Most Popular Stories
- Pinhooking Rookie Scores Big at Keeneland
- NBC Will Air Pegasus World Cup
- California Chrome Arrives at Santa Anita
- Fasig-Tipton October Catalog Available
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby
- The RNA Conundrum at Public Auctions
- BH 100: Shooting Star
- Have Horseplayers Lost Touch With the Horse?
- Texas Bling Retired to Stud