Caracortado has overcome a lot during his career, including a cut in his face as a foal that required 30 stitches and missing 20 months due to an injury to make it to the Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint (gr. IT).
Caracortado took advantage of an all-out pace duel to come from far out of it, winning the $98,000 Daytona Stakes (gr. IIIT) on Santa Anita's hillside turf course with a remarkable late charge Jan. 8.
Caracortado, on the short end of the photo in a pair of grade I losses recently, came from behind to defeat Mr. Commons by a nose in a terrific finish to the $200,000 Del Mar Mile (gr. IIT) Aug. 27.
Eswan Flores, already a winner on Quarter Horses, gets his first Thoroughbred victory July 4 over the Hollywood Park turf course. It was the Mexico native's first ride ever over a grass course.
Caracortado, a grade II winner on Santa Anita's synthetic track last winter, proved equally at home on the lawn when he outlasted The Usual Q. T. to capture the $300,000 Sunshine Millions Turf by a half-length Jan. 29.
Caracortado, the California-bred gelding who won the first five races of his career including the Robert B. Lewis Stakes (gr. II), breezed three furlongs Sept. 21 at Hollywood Park in his first work since the Preakness.
California-bred gelding Caracortado knocked off a pair of highly-touted 3-year-olds and stayed unbeaten in five lifetime starts as he was much the best in the $150,000 Robert B. Lewis Stakes (gr. II) Feb. 13 at Santa Anita.
Favored Kelly Leak took the overland route for jockey Mike Smith to register a 1 1/2-length win in the $900,000 Sunland Derby before 16,388 at New Mexico's Sunland Park March 29.
Most Popular Stories
- Curlin Colt Sells for $350,000 at F-T October
- Cinco Charlie to Spendthrift Farm
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- Malibu Moon Filly Sells for $300,000 at F-T
- Tapit Colt Late Withdrawal from F-T Sale
- Keen Ice Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Inside the Magical Kingdom of Ballydoyle
- Harzand to Aga Khan’s Gilltown Stud
- VanMeter-Gentry Loaded at Fasig-Tipton Sale
- Arc Winner Found Could Run in BC Classic