Favored Black Hills closed stoutly from the rear of the pack on the final turn and romped to a five-length victory in the $100,000 Sunland Park Handicap in New Mexico April 17.
The question of which state will win the $500,000 Sunshine Millions Classic is moot this year as all 10 entrants were bred in Florida.
Black Hills altered course inwardly at the sixteenth pole and swept to victory in the $200,000 Zia Park Distance Championship Handicap Dec. 6 in Hobbs, N.M.
Most Popular Stories
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls
- Classic Empire a Pro in Four-Furlong Move
- Espinoza Wins First Race After HOF Announcement
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Sano Star Gunnevera Goes Easy Five Furlongs
- BloodHorse.com Launches BackTrack Channel
- Blinkers Likely for Practical Joke in Kentucky Derby
- O'Neill Confident After Irap's Mile Work
- Vexatious Stands Out in Oaks Move
- Quiet Business Wins Bewitch on Keeneland's Closing Day