As director of sales at Gainesway Farm near Lexington, Michael Hernon works hard to make sure the nursery and its clients enjoy success with their horses. But this year, he had some notable achievements of his own to savor.
Careless Jewel, arguably the second-best 3-year-old filly of 2009 behind Horse of the Year Rachel Alexandra, has been retired from racing and will be offered for sale Nov. 7 at Fasig-Tipton in November.
Though Rachel Alexandra was not in the $600,000 Alabama (gr. I), Donver Stable's Careless Jewel did her best impression of the superstar filly, running away from seven rivals to win by 11 lengths in a breakthrough performance Aug. 22 at Saratoga.
Donver Stable's Careless Jewel opened up an early lead and never looked back, going gate-to-wire for a convincing 7 1/4-length victory in the $250,000 Delaware Oaks (gr. II) July 18 at Delaware Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Stellar Wind Upsets Beholder
- Maiden No More, Laoban Stuns Jim Dandy Rivals
- A. P. Indian Outduels Holy Boss in Vanderbilt
- Flintshire Scores in Eventful Bowling Green
- Seeking the Gold Dies at 31
- Lexie Lou Goes Wire to Wire in Victoriana
- Pennsylvania Sanctions Trainer Preciado
- Monmouth, Suffolk Battle Over Entries
- Minding Overcomes Trouble for Nassau Win
- Mind Your Biscuits Takes Amsterdam