As director of sales at Gainesway Farm near Lexington, Michael Hernon works hard to make sure the nursery and its clients enjoy success with their horses. But this year, he had some notable achievements of his own to savor.
Careless Jewel, arguably the second-best 3-year-old filly of 2009 behind Horse of the Year Rachel Alexandra, has been retired from racing and will be offered for sale Nov. 7 at Fasig-Tipton in November.
Though Rachel Alexandra was not in the $600,000 Alabama (gr. I), Donver Stable's Careless Jewel did her best impression of the superstar filly, running away from seven rivals to win by 11 lengths in a breakthrough performance Aug. 22 at Saratoga.
Donver Stable's Careless Jewel opened up an early lead and never looked back, going gate-to-wire for a convincing 7 1/4-length victory in the $250,000 Delaware Oaks (gr. II) July 18 at Delaware Park.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Arrives at Santa Anita
- Connect in Good Shape After PA Derby Win
- Ward: Scope Shows Lady Aurelia Bled
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- Solid Keeneland Sale Ends With Declines
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby
- Handle Decreased 26% at Monmouth Park in 2016
- Runhappy Logs Final Drill for Return
- La Cressonniere to Miss Arc After Setback
- Miyadi Suspended by CHRB After Altercation