As director of sales at Gainesway Farm near Lexington, Michael Hernon works hard to make sure the nursery and its clients enjoy success with their horses. But this year, he had some notable achievements of his own to savor.
Careless Jewel, arguably the second-best 3-year-old filly of 2009 behind Horse of the Year Rachel Alexandra, has been retired from racing and will be offered for sale Nov. 7 at Fasig-Tipton in November.
Though Rachel Alexandra was not in the $600,000 Alabama (gr. I), Donver Stable's Careless Jewel did her best impression of the superstar filly, running away from seven rivals to win by 11 lengths in a breakthrough performance Aug. 22 at Saratoga.
Donver Stable's Careless Jewel opened up an early lead and never looked back, going gate-to-wire for a convincing 7 1/4-length victory in the $250,000 Delaware Oaks (gr. II) July 18 at Delaware Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Star-Studded Group Nominated for Los Al Derby
- No Belmont Stakes for Conquest Curlinate
- Commentary: Saving, Not Destroying the House
- Power Alert Seeks Riches at Evangeline Downs
- That Handicapping Show: Belmont Preview
- Finley Files Suit Over New York THA Election
- Gulfstream, HBPA Hope to Bolster Summer Meets
- Handicapping a Little Bit of Everything
- Willcox Inn Suffers Fatal Paddock Accident
- Response Tops Second Magic Millions Session