Big Chief Racing's Exaggerator shipped in from California and put on a brave performance Aug. 16, splitting horses midstretch before surging to victory in the $200,000 Saratoga Special (gr. II) at Saratoga Race Course.
With a slew of early-blooming 2-year-olds in his stable, it's no surprise Doug O'Neill has two prominent runners entered in Southern California's first graded race for young horses in the $200,000 Best Pal Stakes (gr. II).
A week after he ran second in an allowance/optional claiming event, Big Chief Racing's Crucero stunned the field in the $150,000 San Juan Capistrano Stakes (gr. IIIT) June 28 at Santa Anita Park.
Found Money gave owner Paul Reddam his seventh 2-year-old winner during Santa Anita Park's spring meet June 21, when he outdueled Doug O'Neill stablemate Mrazek by 1 3/4 lengths to win the $125,000 Santa Anita Juvenile.
Ive Struck a Nerve, the 135-1 upset winner of the Feb. 23 Risen Star Stakes (gr. II), sustained an ankle injury during a workout the morning of March 9 and is off the Triple Crown trail.
Though virtually assured of a starting slot in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), trainer Keith Desormeaux says he plans to run Risen Star Stakes (gr. II) winner Ive Struck a Nerve in the Louisiana Derby.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Takes Easy Gallop at Spa
- Belmont Winner Palace Malice Retired
- OBS Yearling Sale Stays Steady on Final Day
- NBC Schedules Two-Hour Travers Broadcast
- Travers Stakes: High Anxiety
- Violette Undecided on Travers for Upstart
- Making a Case for Transparency
- Illinois Vote Could Impact Thoroughbred Dates
- Keeneland Plans for Sale Activity During BC
- Stellar Wind Tops Torrey Pines Field