Exchange wagering rules in California have been approved by the state's Office of Administrative Law, though implementation of any agreement to conduct the non-traditional form of pari-mutuel wagering is quite a ways off.
Racing at Monmouth Park returns May 11 in Oceanport, N.J., with a 12-race program attracting a total of 117 entries.
John Sadler, president of the California Thoroughbred Trainers, told the state horse racing board his group objects to exchange wagering and is not prepared to sign an agreement with the Del Mar for the upcoming meet.
A proposal by Frank Stronach to publicly offer shares in six racing companies, each with a 20-horse stable, can legally conduct business in California, a staff report for the state's horse racing board concludes.
Exchange wagering in California drew some strong opposition from The Stronach Group and several horsemen's organizations during its first California Horse Racing Board committee hearing Feb. 9 at Santa Anita.
Exchange wagering may move one step closer to reality after a California Horse Racing Board committee considers rules and enforcement issues surrounding the new betting system.
Monmouth Park officials announced June 24 that the $750,000 United Nations Stakes (gr. IT), to be run on Saturday, July 3, will be sponsored by Betfair/TVG. The race will be named the Betfair/TVG United Nations.
Undefeated champion mare Zenyatta, who finished her career with a perfect 14-for-14 record by beating males with her dramatic late charge in the Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) at Santa Anita on Nov. 7, will be saluted by Hollywood Park and Betfair/TVG on Nov. 29.
Most Popular Stories
- 2015 Florida Derby Race Sequence
- Martin Defends Sending 'Chrome' to Ascot
- Lurie Joins Hoosier Park, Indiana Grand Teams
- Corinthian Colt Paces F-T Texas Sale
- New Horsemen's Incentives at Pimlico Meet
- Lenny's Place: Opening Day Edition
- HRTV to Air Penn National Gaming Challenge
- Carpe Diem Back at Keeneland for Blue Grass
- Fracture Knocks Far From Over Off Derby Trail
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for March 31, 2015