Exchange wagering rules in California have been approved by the state's Office of Administrative Law, though implementation of any agreement to conduct the non-traditional form of pari-mutuel wagering is quite a ways off.
Racing at Monmouth Park returns May 11 in Oceanport, N.J., with a 12-race program attracting a total of 117 entries.
John Sadler, president of the California Thoroughbred Trainers, told the state horse racing board his group objects to exchange wagering and is not prepared to sign an agreement with the Del Mar for the upcoming meet.
A proposal by Frank Stronach to publicly offer shares in six racing companies, each with a 20-horse stable, can legally conduct business in California, a staff report for the state's horse racing board concludes.
Exchange wagering in California drew some strong opposition from The Stronach Group and several horsemen's organizations during its first California Horse Racing Board committee hearing Feb. 9 at Santa Anita.
Exchange wagering may move one step closer to reality after a California Horse Racing Board committee considers rules and enforcement issues surrounding the new betting system.
Monmouth Park officials announced June 24 that the $750,000 United Nations Stakes (gr. IT), to be run on Saturday, July 3, will be sponsored by Betfair/TVG. The race will be named the Betfair/TVG United Nations.
Undefeated champion mare Zenyatta, who finished her career with a perfect 14-for-14 record by beating males with her dramatic late charge in the Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) at Santa Anita on Nov. 7, will be saluted by Hollywood Park and Betfair/TVG on Nov. 29.
Most Popular Stories
- Cozmic One Approaches Long-Awaited Debut
- Cozmic One Lacks Late Kick in Debut
- No Medication for Mubtaahij in Kentucky Derby
- Former KY Governor Seeking Third Oaks Win
- Churchill to Stream Derby, Oaks Workouts Live
- Bernardini Filly Shows Maturity in OBS Breeze
- 123Gaming Granted ADW License in Washington
- Mott Fights Denial of Assistant's Visa
- Brother to Eight Belles Gets Tesio Class Test
- Deceptive Vision Wins Doubledogdare