Royal Delta, the Breeders' Cup Ladies' Classic (gr. I) winner and likely champion 3-year-old female, had her first official work of the year Jan. 10 at Payson Park Training Center in Florida.
Frank Stronach went to $2.6 million to purchase Delta Princess (by A.P. Indy) and Besilu Stables acquired her Smart Strike weanling filly for $1.6 million in back-to-back sales at the Keeneland November sale Nov. 8.
Benjamin Leon, Jr., who made a big splash at the top of the yearling market last year, is back shopping at Keeneland.
An Unbridled's Song colt brought $185,000 to top the ninth session of the struggling Keeneland September yearling sale. While the number of horses sold Sept. 23 in Lexington rose 5.6% from a year ago, the gross revenue declined 26.2%. The average price dropped 30.1%, and the median price plunged 40%. The buy-back rate fell from 24.6% in 2008 to 19.3% this year.
Most Popular Stories
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Zayat Pinhooking Venture Returns Large Profit
- Graded Stakes Winner Destin Set for 2017 Debut
- Familiar Faces Highlight New York Showcase
- Champion Songbird Confirmed for Ogden Phipps
- Classic Empire to Begin Belmont Training
- Litfin: Gold Cup Figures to Set up Well for Accelerate
- First Black-type Winner for Freshman Havana Gold
- Hong Kong Champion Able Friend Retired
- Epicharis Begins Journey to Belmont Park