Royal Delta, the Breeders' Cup Ladies' Classic (gr. I) winner and likely champion 3-year-old female, had her first official work of the year Jan. 10 at Payson Park Training Center in Florida.
Frank Stronach went to $2.6 million to purchase Delta Princess (by A.P. Indy) and Besilu Stables acquired her Smart Strike weanling filly for $1.6 million in back-to-back sales at the Keeneland November sale Nov. 8.
Benjamin Leon, Jr., who made a big splash at the top of the yearling market last year, is back shopping at Keeneland.
An Unbridled's Song colt brought $185,000 to top the ninth session of the struggling Keeneland September yearling sale. While the number of horses sold Sept. 23 in Lexington rose 5.6% from a year ago, the gross revenue declined 26.2%. The average price dropped 30.1%, and the median price plunged 40%. The buy-back rate fell from 24.6% in 2008 to 19.3% this year.
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Upsets Risen Star Stakes
- Dortmund Could Return in Triple Bend
- Irish War Cry Ticks All the Boxes in Five-Furlong Work
- Farrell Vaults to Top of Kentucky Oaks Leaderboard
- Winx Soars to Fifteenth Straight Win
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Yorkiepoo Princess Scores Again at Aqueduct
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Veteran Kentucky-Based Hot Walker Roche Dies at 91
- Unified Edges Mind Your Biscuits in GP Sprint